Just Couldn’t Stand It

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Jobe..looks like you are on the right track. I would wait at least until in the morning before you stir in the pectic enzyme. If you have already added it just give the must another good stirring and wait until tomorrow to pitch the yeast. You need to allow plenty of time for the campden and enzyme to do its job. The 71B-1122 will be a good yeast. It will help bring out the fruit flavor of the Muscadine. I used the Montcharet on my batch as more of an experiment to see what the end result would be as compared to my first batch which I used the 71B on.

I am honored that you have given me theconfidence you have and will do mydamndest to help you make a wine you will have to hide from everybody to keep any for yourselfbut I would admonish you to heed the advice and wisdom of Hippie and the others on this forum. It is collectively thatwe succeed in making our wines the best we can.Edited by: Waldo

Thanks Waldo for taking on the responsibility of mentoring, what could concievably be............ an idiot at times
smiley19.gif

I added the camden tablet, nutrient and pectic enzyme last night. This morning when I added the extra juice (about 2 cups) and skins to the straining bag, I added 1 more camden since I was approaching the 2 gallon mark with the bag in, about 1.5 gallons with the bag out. I used 1 teaspoon of liquid enzyme last night when I put it all together, feeling I didn't need any more than that. Should I give that more time to work? It's been about 8 hours, but waiting till morning won't hurt.

Justso ya know. I have lurked on this board for a while, signed as a member a few months ago, and liked what I saw with the relationship you seem to have with people on this board. You seem a little more advancedthan me, yet, still in the learning process as I am. We seem to be making similar wines, if not the same wines in this case so what better a person to teach/help me, than you.

And it's always nice knowing that there are a lot of good people behind us.
smiley2.gif
to help fill in the blanks.

I would wait until in the morning jobe and check your SG again, adjust if necessary and then pitch the yeast.

Can I step in a sec and just say 1 thang?
smiley36.gif

You have added way more pectic enzyme than you need, but it won't hurt none, and at least you added plenty! The liquid I have used has a label that tells how much to use per gallon of must. The sulphite (campden) is what turns the must a funny color, but the true color will return.

Ooops! That was more than 1 thang! Sorry!
smiley2.gif

BTW Jobe, I am still learning also...

smiley33.gif

Did I put in to much camden?????
smiley5.gif
Last night when I squeezed the grapes, I strained into a seperate bottle. The more I added, or the longer I took, the greener the color of the juice seemed to get. I then had the skins in a strainer bag that I put in an empty 2 gal bucket, poured the hot water/sugar salution over it and it turned a nice Dark pink/purpleish color. Then when I added the juice to it, it took on a grey color (yuk). Today it's looking a little better and getting that purple color back.

Oooops
smiley34.gif
..... I just read the label like you said hippie and you are correct! It says to add 1/4 teaspoon per 5 gallons! Did kill it?!

Thats what I get for not waiting....... reading......... or waiting for what I had asked for..... Help.......
smiley18.gif
.......... Thats it........ not another move without direction!

I hope you now understand what you have to work with Waldo............ Good luck!
smiley4.gif

Hang in there buddy..all is still ok. It was a bit too much Campden for the volume of wine you have but it will be ok. The additional pectic enzyme will just help it clear better
smiley2.gif
Do you have any way to post some pictures as we go? That would be great if you do.

2005-11-07_201103_100_1178.jpg
sure, here are two pictures. One is before I stir the must and one is after I stir the must.

Pretty obvious which one is which.

2005-11-07_201036_100_1175.jpg

that looks just like what i saw in my gallon of pomegranate. the color change.

Looking good Jobe.
smiley32.gif
Have you decided which yeast strain you are going to pitch yet?

Ok Jobe...Did you taste your must before? If so, what did it taste like? If not, shame on you and try to remember ( As I just recently learned) to always taste your must before each new step you perform. What was your starting SG and Temp? I want to see soem pics of that must a boiling. After your fermentation begins you want to punch down the strainer bag a couple of times a day. I always use a large plastic spoon and mashthe baggently a few times during this exercise.

Thanks Waldo..... Your gonna be proud!
smiley4.gif

Must SG- 1.090, I took this reading while keeping the must still, so I took the reading from the clear/pinkish juice on the top.

THEN..................

I stired the heck out of it...... rustled up all them nasties on the bottom......... Took another SG.... 1.090..... Dog gone.... thought for sure I would get something different.

Must temp, 72 deg F.

I did taste it
smiley11.gif
.......... Naw.... It wasn't bad at all. Nice sweet very pronounced muscadine flavor which I thought at this point would be a bit bitter but it wasn't. There again, the berries wern't either.

I did stir it up good when I got home a few minutes ago and there was a layer of scum on the top. Kinda looked like I was boilen a chicken in there. Mixed right up though when I stired it. I didn't get a picture before I mixed it all up, but Just after 11 hours I can see the yeast pulling the color out real good. At least I think the yeast is doing it....... Couldn't it?

Look at the scum that has settled on the top already:

2005-11-08_163557_100_1180.jpg

-VS- this nice color........
smiley9.gif

2005-11-08_163505_100_1181.jpg

Good job Jobe
smiley32.gif
Looks really good podner. Just turn that strainer bag over each day and punch her back down. I am going to be out of town until tomorrow evening so will be back with ya as soon as I can.

OK Forum...All togrether now, Sing Along:

Ole Jobe told Waldo

Said listen you big bear

I want your help making Muscadine wine

You better shoot me fair and square

Waldo he never even flinched

and said I'll be glad to take the time

To help you podner make yourelf

some mighty fine Muscadine Wine.

So, Let's drink to ole Jobe

Yes lift your glasse high.

As long as there's good wines to make

don't let his memory die.

That he was making wines from scratch

nevr meant a"thang" to him.

And I doubt we'd ever have good wines

If it weren't for men like him.

Just got home a stired the must. Today was the first time the straining bag was foating, before today, it just sank to the bottom. When I pushed it down, you should have seen the gas bubbles come out!
smiley5.gif
. I squeezed and smushed and squeezed some more, but I couldn't get that bag to sink to the bottom anymore, But it's mostly under the must now. The color is getting a darker red now and I'm sure it will continue to get deeper in color as it ferments. The SG is 1.070 at 74 deg f. There is a brownish colored foam layer on top of the must before I stire it up, should I remove that by skimming it off, or will it hurt nothing to leave it? Smells wonderfull right now and taste just like it smells........ Yum!

So far so good Waldo
smiley32.gif

Hey Waldo.........

At what point should I take the bag out?

Just racked and stabilized my strawberry and again, didn't notice the odor that you had with yours. Mine is a little dry for me, but after it clears (another month or so), I'll sweeten to taste. I also have a spiced pear that is pretty clear now, but it has a rotten fruit smell to it. It has had this smell since day 1 when I was fermenting it. I try to taste it from time to time, but it's so bad that honestly, you can't get it past your nose
smiley11.gif

Latest posts

Back