Just Couldn’t Stand It

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waldo, Thanks for the thumbs up on my wie, and mostly, thanks for your help during the process..... You helped me make a scratch wine that I am very very proud of.... Just like you said I would..... Thank You.
smiley32.gif

Man.... You'd be lucky if you could get your hands on those Muscadines. I can't wait till next spring when I can get some plants and get them in the ground. Then next fall...... Im gonna feel sorry for those U-Pickem Places I have got marked on my map..... Their going to be seeing an awfull lot of me..... I hope they have enough vines.....
smiley36.gif
...... Im going to wipe them out! You'll have to get that recipe and post it for us! Sounds interresting.

Wow......

After fermenting this wine, I removed the bag and squeezed it out to get all the juice out. Now I know Im not the only curious cat in this bunch...... I did what any of us would do.... I laid out newspaper on the table and dumped out the bag to inspect it's contents. All the was left was some redish gook (skins???) and a whole lot of seeds. Anyways, My wife was helping me clean up and I finished the wine........

My lovely adorable wife however (unbeknownst to me) saved me all the seeds. This spring when I was planting the garden, she handed me all my dried seeds.... 1 package was unidentifiable to me. Then she told me what they were, the Muscadine seeds......... I laughed my butt off.

While planting all my other stuff I figured what the heck...... I through the seeds in a planter and watered with my other scuppernog cuttings. I looked at the planter tonight AND THEY ARE GROWING!!!!!!! Has anyone experienced this? Will they grow? Will they ever become mature vines after going through the fermenting process? How funny is this.......
smiley36.gif

Yes, as you are seeing, they will grow. What they become is anyone's guess. What other grape pollinated them? No-one knows. Therefore you may have the world's greatest new grape, or a complete bust. The wonders of cross-pollination. As far as going through the ferment process, seeds are generally well protected and survive some pretty tough odds to germinate. A good example of this is finding tomato plants growing in sludge from city composte(waste water treatment). Those tomato seeds survived being eaten, digested and processed by the city!

If you have a little extra room, try growing a few of these grapes to maturity and see what they give you. You may have the next greatest grape to come along- if not you can always pull it up if it is a dud.

Jobe that's awesome! I tried it with some seeds from a Cellar Craft kit and nothing came of that. However, it does make sense that the seeds should grow. If those grapes were just left to their own in nature, the would ripen, fall to the ground, and start to ferment and rot on their own, eventually leaving a seed behind. Maybe those seeds require ferementation to help germination.

I know that tomato seeds require a form of fermentation before they germinate. The little sack of goo you see around a tomato seed is actually a germination inhibitor and must be fermented off in order to cause the seed to germinate. Soaking tomato seeds in water over a few days will cause a mild fermentation to occur and take this layer off. Once that layer is off, you have a little amount of time to dry the seeds or they will start to grow.

Jobe Where did you find 3 yr old muscadine plants for less than $7? I've started my orchard/vinery &, even with drip irrigation, I lost half the muscadines this year.

bj:

I went back a few post and didn't see where I said they were $7. I did see where I said that TyTy had 3 year old vines that were 7 to 10 "feet" in height already and were suppose to fruit the first year in the ground. I think the price was something like $16??? per vine, not sure without looking it up. However I did find a nice, what would seem to be a 2 year vine at Lowes home improvement for $12. Muscadines are so vigorous however,I don't know if I would be concerned with 1 year old or 3 year old vines. I went to my Aunts house in Georga over the weekend. She planted 2 vines about 5 years ago along her fence in the side yard. The vines have now covered the entire length of the fence, approx 70 feet and a lot of gapes hanging and ready for picking. In the vineyard section, I have a post introducing Mutt & Jeff when I first planted them. I will be updating that post with new pictures of Mutt and Jeff soon, to show how quickly they can cover an area........ Stay Tuned!

Holy Smokes, you guys were a blast even in the olden days.
smiley36.gif
I was doing a search for imploding jugs (easy there Mike) when I found exactly what I was looking for and then some. Lots of good information and humor here that I thought it was worth bringing to light again!

Hey, us ole farts are more than just a bunch of purty faces !!!!
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back