Just a quick introduction

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff H

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I wanted to introduce myself...I'm Jeff and I'm from Peoria Illinois. I ordered (and received - thanks again George) a deluxe starter kit and plan to begin my journey into winemaking tomorrow. I set up my basement workshop to make wine over the last week in additon to getting familiar with the equipment in the kit.My first kit will be aMosti Mondiale Vinifera Noble Pinot Noir.
smiley20.gif

Great to have you here and feel free to ask any questions even if you think they have been asked before. There is nothing I hate more then hearing on any other forum to do a search to find out the answer, we are here and will answer your questions. Feel free to search but dont be afraid to ask! Hope you stay awhile but know you will. This is a great hobby, umm, more lie an addiction as you will soon know what I mean!

Wade,

Thanks for the welcome. I've been actively reading over the last week or so and George included the tutorial with my kit. I'm sure as things progress I'll have a question or 2 or 3 or....you get the picture. It does seem like a friendly group here. I'mbeen on a motorcycle forum over at Delphi for the last few years so I'mfamiliar with forums. I'm not a massive poster but I try to contribute from time to time. Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff from Peoria!!! Welcome, Happy that you are here. Will look forward to your posts. Anything we can do to help we will be there. Very knowlegable winemakers here.
Welcome.....Ramona

Hi Joan,

I like it already.You all seemlike a nice bunch of people and rather knowledgable to boot! Thanks for the welcome.
smiley17.gif

Hey Jeff,

I'm also a new member to the forum although I have been making wine for just over a year.

It looks like you picked a nice kit to start with but it may take some time before its really ready to drink. SoYou might also want to consider soon doingwhat a lot of us newbies wind up doing, and that is to make a kit or two of something thats ready in 4 weeks. Like an Island Mist or Orchard Breezin. They are Easy and fun to make.

Congrats and have fun tomorrow starting your kit. In a day or two you will get to watch the airlock get into action.

Howdy Okie,

Thank you for the welcome. In talking with George he said about 3 months or so. My wife is a big Pinot Noir fan so in many ways this is for her (and possibly a little for me too, lol). Once I get this one kicked, I believe I will follow your advice.

Welcome Jeff. I am from Illinois to but have been in Louisiana for the past 9 years. I grew up not far from you south of Decatur in the Shelbyville area. Welcome aboard and look forward to your posts.

Greetings from the Appleman also. Folks tell me I should be the Grapeman now since I'm into grapes and wine so much. I may have to settle for Grappleman instead. Question away. We pretty much have the whole day covered here for answering you!

Glad to have you here! We're like a big family, spread out over a large area. Some people are often here and others pop in when time allows or they have a question.

Smurfe,

Good ol' Illinois....we've been in Peoria for 3 years now. It's ok, here's one perk....The International Beerfest is happening this weekendin Peoria....wahoo! http://www.jaycees.com/projects/ibf/ibf.htm

I've read through your tutorials - good stuf there, thanks for making them. Just one thing...spoon bad, drill mixer good - right? Thanks for the welcome.

Appleman,

Grappleman - sounds like a very cool superhero name! Thanks for the welcome and the offerof assistance. I've checked/tested/messed around with most of the stuff in the equpiment kit this past week. Read and re-read the instructions and tutorials...so I feel pretty good about starting. I'm sure I'll have questions as I get along. Thanks again!

PWP,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Family is good and from what I learned in Smurfe's tutorial mixing spoon is bad, lol. I'm glad to be here, thanks again.

Jeff, the spoon has its place in wine and beer making but limited to just punching down the cap (pushing grapes, grape skins or any other fruits that you might have in your batch of wine under the wine so it doesnt dry out and gets broken up). Other then that you mostly want to use a drill mounted stirrer.

Welcome Jeff... this forum is full of lots of great people with all kinds of knowledge. We have some friends down your way. My husband comes to Peoria every year to visit them for the TT.

Waldo,

Thanks for the welcome. Read your posts on the Raspberry/Chocolate port - sounds like yummy stuff. The bottleslooked great too!
smiley31.gif

Hey there Moto-girl,

Ahhh the TT motorcycle races,I haven't been but I hear it's alot of fun. I plan to ride the parade this year with my bike...if winter ever ends...it was snowing again yesterday and this morning...geez. Thanks for the welcome.

Latest posts

Back