Vacuum pumping/filtering woes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure which question you are asking about ?

1: I also was having problems with the orange universal carboy adapters and now I make my own 2 hole 6.5 tappered bung instead

2: You can not use a standard transferrig hose as it is just a little bit larger inside diameter and it can not with hold the vacuum also

3: I also use the covered up the hole with epoxy for the relief valve - or just purchase a housing filter without it

did I miss any other questions ?

You can use a tubing clamp to slow and stop when you are at the end of the wine in the source. One of those clamps that the tubing goes through and you squeeze to clamp the tubing.

When you start the transfer and everything gets going, gently squeeze the tubing at the point it joins the racking cane. This will get rid of the air bubble that's trapped there.

Depending the media you're using, it can take a while to get all of the air out of the filter. This looks like bubbles being sucked into the tubing at the output fitting, but probably isn't ...

Thats right - how to stop the process ?
I put inline a vacuum release valve that will stop everything immediately, even if the pump is still running.

Also soak the filter pior to using it - some people recommend sulfite and others will recommend using wine ( I personall like the wine idea )

Last edited:
I like the tubing clamp for a couple of reasons. First, you can actually control the flow rate without reducing the vacuum. This increases degassing potential by creating a venturi at the pinch point. Then when you completely clamp it down, you are automatically in degas mode. Third, I'm usually closer to the carboy than the pump, so it's easier to control the flow than stepping back and forth to the pump, which is where the vacuum needle is.

It's easy, cheap and effective.

Another way to stop the vacuum immediately is to simply pull the orange cap up from the receiving carboy as soon as you want it to stop. That's how I do it anyway. When I notice the first sign of air coming up the tube from the supplier carboy, I break the seal. Everything stops. Then you can turn off the pump when you get to it.

Pulling the cap works, BUT, with the hose clamp, you get to drain the tubing into the destination instead of having half of it go back into the source.

Look, my way is the best no matter how you do it now. Don't you all get that there is only one way to do all of this wine stuff?! Jeez!!!
:)

Look, my way is the best no matter how you do it now. Don't you all get that there is only one way to do all of this wine stuff?! Jeez!!!
:)[/QUOTE]

Do you use the same setup for bottling also ?

Basically, except there's a Buon Vino hangin on the end

BTW, my previous post was meant to be funny ...

Latest posts

Back