Just a question in general about wine kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUwiner

Reaction score
I have made numerous wine kits over the past 4-5 years. All have been either Vineco or RJ Spagnols. The instructions for the two brands are almost identical for every step. I recently started my first Wine Expert kit. The instructions call for re-suspending any sediment during the degassing and clarifying stage. I'm just curious, why would they want you do this? With the other brands, I always racked just prior to the degassing and clarifying steps..

They have determined that resuspending the lees gives their kits the flavor profile that they expect. No other reason.

I have noted that difference in the WE kits as well. I doubt if it makes a huge difference either way. As DoctorCAD points out, it will probably add something to the flavor, sort of like an abbreviated batonnage.

Last edited:
It is because of the clearing agents that they use.
ts

edit: maybe should read agent(?)

My last wine xpert kit had bentonite and isinglass clarifier as clearing agents. The Bentonite was added before the primary and the Isinglass was added as the final step before aging and bottling.

There was a cryptic note in the instructions that basically said the wine would remain permanently cloudy if it was racked off the sediment before the isinglass was added. It sounded ominous and weird. I believe I read somewhere that one attracts mostly positive particles and one attracts negative so I thought maybe it had something to do with the positive and negative charges. :shrug:

I just followed instructions. The wine came out great after a little backsweetening and an added F-Pack. I was really impressed with the color and clarity.

Latest posts

Back