JUICING UP THE INVENTORY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does smell pretty good in here...the only thing missing is the cinnamon smell...then it would be like a pie....

Ummmm...apple crisp tomorrow.

It's that time of the year again....Everyone is trying to give each other apples.....

Friends brought over a couple buckets of Dolgo Crabapples....They were falling off the tree from the strong winds of late. They said their feet were rolling on fallen apples and they were getting pelted by flying Crabs like large red hailstones....

Pretty little fruit...

crabsSmall.jpg

Took 40# to get 10 quarts of juice..

juiceSmall-5.jpg

Not the most productive fruit to juice....but makes great wine...
smiley4.gif

Yes....I do juice grapes....Probably send chills through the real grape winemaker's spines, but I make do with the tools I have and the quality of the grapes we can grow up North.

These white grapes are Louise Swenson and Edelweiss...they can make a decent wine...but my crop was pretty sparse. I will make wine with this juice. I kept some of the Edelweiss grapes for eating...they are great.

whiteSmall-1.jpg

The purple grapes are Valiant, those I do wine make with the juice and it isn't too bad.

grapesSmall-3.jpg

The juice from the 10.12# of white grapes and 21.5# of Valiant.

gjuiceSmall.jpg

This is the pulp/seeds of the 30+# of grapes that was left in the steamer basket.

pulpSmall-1.jpg

So, the steamer does do a good job of extracting the juice from grapes....don't know how it affects the flavor and integrity of the juice...it's all I have ever done.....
smiley4.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

Yesterday's juicing project.....

Some Wild Plum juice [for future wine....?].....Some Beta Juice from berries that were not quite ripe...[will add it to some sort of wine] And .....some very nice Beta juice from ripe black fruit....

juiceSmall-6.jpg

Meanwhile...back in the Cannery/Kitchen....Today...T.O.P......Tomato/Onion/Pepper combo...Good in everything....
smiley4.gif

Apples are the least rewarding of the steam juicing process.....But the end product is very good....we make wine with it as well as drink it for a breakfast beverage.

applesSmall-2.jpg
asSmall.jpg
pulpSmall-2.jpg
ajSmall.jpg

Takes time, but worth the effort.

I would have to use some of those and make some fried apple pies NW
Everything looks so good !!!!

Latest posts

Back