Balancing the acids

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeniorHobby

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Winemakers,
I am mixing up two batches at this time. When I get to this point I get stuck and am not sure if I know what I am doing.
First Batch
Minnesota had a good crop of grapes last year so I was lucky enough to pick some grapes off the vine, what type, I have no idea but might be a concord...? So I have a 1 gallon batch, sg 1.044, 3.50 ph, 5.5 TA. (I test for my acid with my ph tester). At this time I have added the sugar & potassium metabisulfite.
Second Batch
Chokecherry wine
I am doing a 2 gallon batch, sg 1.016, 5.34 ph, 2.5 TA I have added the sugar and the meta as above.
I get lost when I look at my acid levels. Reds like to between 6-8. I am not there with either.
Advice?
Thanks!

I would slowly add tartaric acid to the chokeberry to get ph down to at least 3.6. might do a bench trial. finish each wine and then do taste test for further additives

You will definitely need to add more sugar to both of your must. You need to bring the starting gravity above 1.075 to get your final ABV above 10%. Preferably we normally recommend getting your starting SG between 1.085 and 1.100 for a ABV of 12 to 14%.

You will definitely need to add more sugar to both of your must. You need to bring the starting gravity above 1.075 to get your final ABV above 10%. Preferably we normally recommend getting your starting SG between 1.085 and 1.100 for a ABV of 12 to 14%.
My fault, I listed the starting sg, I did bring both up to 1.09 sg.

Latest posts

Back