Juice vs grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vittorio1970

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was corking just some of my 5 gallons last weekend which was stores in demijohn's and carboys. I've decided to just cork and taste some of just 5 gallons carboy. I bought the juice cab and Barbera 60-40 cab - Barbera. It still seems young and not as dark as I wanted to be. Should I keep this for another 2 months. I know a year would be better but why is it not as dark? Could it be its juice not from grapes?

I've noticed the same thing! This past Oct I did a 6 gal juice bucket & 6 gals from fresh grapes at the same time. Both Cab Sav. From same supplier. The juice bucket is very light in color, tastes thin, not impressive at all. Same yeast, additions i.e. Tannins, same temps etc. this was my first juice bucket. Have 3 coming on April 22 from Chile. Hope they are better. Roy

You will never get the same results from Chilean juice pails as you do form pressed grapes. You have more control with fermenting the grapes on skins than pressing. The juice pails are hot pressed.

Oh ok. I didn't know about the juice not being pressed. Yea in pretty disappointed about that. It tastes good but not what I was looking for.

The color comes from the time that the juice is exposed to the grape skins (maceration).

With most buckets, The juice is not allowed to sit with the skins. The grapes are crushed and pressed immediately.

What many here do is to purchase buckets and add some whole grapes to give the juice some exposure to grape skins. This will improve the color and body of the wine.

What many here do is to purchase buckets and add some whole grapes to give the juice some exposure to grape skins. This will improve the color and body of the wine while still allowing you to use bucket juice.

Latest posts

Back