Juice machine for wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
an idea to help with low water levels..... add a few marbles in the pan.... they will rattle when water is boiling and stop if U run out of water or forget to check......

a good backup plan:b

Have fun with UR new toy :br:db

Last October I shot my deer opening day of hunting season. Since I had taken the whole week off I decided to fill the time picking elderberries which grow everywhere in SE Washington. My mom, uncle and I picked about 80#. The story is on my blog at http://www.dragonslairmeads.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=82.

I was going to boil them like my mom used to do when I was a kid until my brother came up with one of those juicers. Since it only held about 6#'s of berries at a time and each batch had to steam for an hour it took us 5 days to get 6 gallons of juice from all the berries. That juice made a 10 gallon batch of Elderberry Port which is closer to eight gallons now because I can't stay out of it. :w It may not make it to bottling.

Since then I have experimented with apples, peaches, plums and others and have decided that the best way is to steam the fruit then throw away the pomace. The pomace only adds sediment at this point. Since the juice has been pasteurized I don't have to add sulfites. :db

I am now working on a project to build a juicer out of a 15 gallon keg and a 60 quart stock pot so I can do 20-30#'s of fruit at a time. When I have finished engineering and constructing it I will post pictures and a plan. :b

Last edited:
I am now working on a project to build a juicer out of a 15 gallon keg and a 60 quart stock pot so I can do 20-30#'s of fruit at a time. When I have finished engineering and constructing it I will post pictures and a plan. :b

That's great. I just this morning borrowed a juicer to try out the process. If it's as good as it seems it should be I'll need something bigger!

Hi. ,
Tom
Really you introduce a good stream juicer to make fruit wine. I will use It Thanks!

Damn! Shoulda gotten that degree in engineering. Turns out there was a flaw in my design. :m Can't pipe the steam in from the top and have it work. Have to pipe it in from the bottom. Now I am going to have to get a stainless steel stock pot because my welder guy doesn't work with aluminum. Back to the drawing board. :d

Back