Juice bucket with yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giovannino

Reaction score
I visited the local retailer of MM yesterday.

They have juice buckets with yeast already in and it looked like some fermentation was already happening.

My question is (this guy had no time for a shy and meek beginner)

Should I decide to get the bucket (also meant I have to get new equipment), do I transfer the juice into a carboy to finish fermenting?

Is there something else I need to add?

Is it too late in the year?

I so much want to start doing my own and not use BoP but afraid of taking the first step.

Thanks for any help.

the juice buckets are pretty easy, all you need to do is take it home, let it ferment, degass, then k-meta when done, add sorbate then sugar if you are backsweetening, age and bottle.

If you are depending on someone else to help you thru the process of making wine, you have all of us here. I say buy a juice bucket, ask the store if they know what the sg was of the bucket

GO FOR IT!!! As I sorta said in one of your other threads.

Julie left out a step...YES you need at least one carboy. I like to have x carboys (where x is max that I will have on the go at a time, plus one extra to simplify racking.

Julie did say "age", but I suspect that most juice buckets need more aging than kits. Bottle or carboy aging doesn't really matter a lot, but you should leave it in the carboy (rack occasionally, if needed) for some time before bottling.

Don't be in a rush to bottle or drink.

Steve

Steve

Last edited:

They have juice buckets with yeast already in and it looked like some fermentation was already happening.

Should I decide to get the bucket (also meant I have to get new equipment), do I transfer the juice into a carboy to finish fermenting?

I so much want to start doing my own and not use BoP but afraid of taking the first step.

Thanks for any help.

Was the juice bucket warm enough for fermentation to have started? They are supposed to be kept frozen, I believe.

I don't like the idea of having the yeast already pitched. I guess they do this, because if the bucket warms up before someone wants, at least it will start fermenting for the prescribed yeast strain.

I don't know if the bucket comes with all the chemicals or not. If not, you will need kmeta, sorbate if you use it, and some fining agent(s), if you want to clear with chemicals.

If the bucket has at least 5 inches above must level, you can use it. otherwise, I would buy a 7.9 gallon fermenter bucket. Trying to ferment in a carboy can be very messy, as you will get some foam.

As far as additional equipment, I would get:
You would be better off buying the equipment as a set. The price is generally much better than buying separately
2 hydrometers (They break easily)
1 thermometer
2 - 6 gallon carboys
1 long stirring spoon
drill stirring rod (the stainless steel one is best, but either works)
siphoning cane and hose
eventually a corker and some good corks (#9 1.75 inch)
You might be able to rent a corker.
Start collecting empty bottles. Always rinse them as soon as they are empty.
A bottle tree is nice but not absolutely required.
B-Brite cleaner or any other wine equipment cleaning agent
1/4 to 1 pound of kmeta
Spray bottle for spraying kmeta
one or two - one-gallon jugs (1 to hold kmeta sanitizing solution)
A wine thief

No, it is not too late in the year. That's the nice thing about kits, available most anytime, except for the limited editions.

George at The Wine Maker's Toy Store can get you an equipment kit and wine kit in about two days. I would call him up first, even though you have a local home brew shop (LHBS).

Juice buckets are so easy and after a few it will become like 2nd nature to you. You will just open the lid and grab what additives you need and go for it. It becomes so much fun and chatting with the great folks on here is enjoyable. In time you will probably meet some. Swap wine and recipes.

Then when you go to the store you won't be heading to get milk and toilet paper, you'll start browsing the produce and fruit sections trying to find something to ferment. Don't laugh it's the truth.

First it's the grocery store, then the farmers markets and THEN the vineyards. :tz

Last edited:

Thanks for any help.

I make wine all year round and I keep my house COLD in the winter (17 at night 20 durring the day). Granted I've only made (up untill last Aug) 6 or 7 kits, all i've found is, fermenting takes a little longer in the winter. I think you'll really enjoy making it at home. I find the odor of fermenting wine rather pleasent. We're all here for ya, some more than others :h

Thank you for you input everyone - it is really appreciated.

I'm chickening-out even though I know you are ALL here for me, one way or the other but, perhaps I'll revisit the thought in the future.

So, thanks again.

Latest posts

Back