Juice bucket. Which one is your favorite?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawk

Reaction score
If you could pick one. OK or two buckets of juice. Which one is your favorite varietal and from what country. And why it is your pick?

I've only done 3. Carmenere and Malbec from Chile and a Valpolicella from Italy. The Carmenere is by far my fave. That and the Malbec, also had an added 18lbs of grapes.

I've only done 3. Carmenere and Malbec from Chile and a Valpolicella from Italy. The Carmenere is by far my fave. That and the Malbec, also had an added 18lbs of grapes.

Did you do 18 in each or split it between the two buckets?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Did you do 18 in each or split it between the two buckets?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Each bucket got 18lbs of grapes in the same variety.

Codeman: I did a Viognier this spring, but still its still clearing/bulk aging. Too early to tell, but all signs are very positive so far.

I did 5 buckets of juice from Chile, the Malbec is by far the favorite with the Carmenere close behind.

Great topic.

My experience with juice buckets has been, first, that they are inconsistent. I have had Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile that was great one year and so-so the next year. I have had Zinfandel from California where one year it looked like White Zinfandel (it was only pink in color) and the next year had the rich dark color to which I am accustomed. Whites seem to be more consistent than reds so the issue may be one of incomplete or too short a maceration period.

One the subject of white wine from juice buckets, I fee they are the best (most economical alternative) because they emulate the process of making wine from grapes very closely. That is, the grapes are crushed and pressed into juice (without maceration) so buying a bucket of white juice is just like being at the winery.

One conclusion that I have reached in working with buckets of red juice is that I should always use either a grape pack or raisins in making the wine to add body, color and taste. I do like the economy of making wine from juice buckets but I feel I need to tweak them so that some of the apparent saving is reduced.

So, getting to the original question, my experience has been that as far as consistency and quality of juice buckets from various countries, I would rank them: 1. Italy, 2. US, 3. Chile.

As far as favorite variety I like the white juice buckets best: Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc. I have had good Sangiovese and Barolo from Italy, good Cabernet Sauvignon from California and good Carmenere from Chile.

I agree with the above. They can be inconsistent. Whites are definitely better than the reds. I find that most white buckets are very good and ready to bottle in 6 to 9 months...depending on variety and wine making methods. With the reds, it really depends on the grape quality, grape processing, etc. These will be thin and you will need to work with them. Most reds can benefit with fermenting with 2 ounces of medium toast oak and some fruit or Zante Currants. Pick a yeast that will enhance what you are working with. A little oak during aging helps too. Most red buckets need to bulk age for a year, then bottle (usually) and are a step above most kits at a reasonable price. I really like the Californian and Chilean buckets. Really, buckets are a good bang for the buck.

Tony

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back