Juice bucket first

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havlikn

Reaction score
I picked up 72 gallons of cab merlot blend juice on Wednesday evening that was chilled. I put it in my basement that runs a constant 60 degrees and much to my surprise, the next evening the buckets were already fermenting. Has anyone had experience with native yeast being that strong to start fermenting at that cold of temp? I did add the intended yeast and go ferm last night with the hope that it will take over fermentation.

I picked up 72 gallons of cab merlot blend juice on Wednesday evening that was chilled. I put it in my basement that runs a constant 60 degrees and much to my surprise, the next evening the buckets were already fermenting. Has anyone had experience with native yeast being that strong to start fermenting at that cold of temp? I did add the intended yeast and go ferm last night with the hope that it will take over fermentation.

I think ajmassa recently had some juice buckets take off fermenting before he added yeast, from what ive read its possible the company may have added yeast. Might want to check with the supplier.

Yup. Just had that happen to me a couple weeks ago. I took the temp and read 60°. Later in the day up to 65° when I noticed activity.
But I know for a fact there's no yeast added to the juice from my supplier.
I did the same as you, added my store bought yeast hoping that it would take over the ferment. No way to tell for sure if it did. BUT... it did end up stalling out on me just a tick above 1.000. --still in the midst of figuring out how to proceed from there. Though this was just 1 bucket. Not 12 like you've got.
No real advice to give I guess. Just sharing my recent endeavor.
IMG_6829.jpg

I picked up 3 Regina buckets this past sunday, two were lightly fizzing away. Walk-in they came from was at 32 f the juice was at 54 f. The buckets I picked up a few weeks ago which were inactive had OG of 1.090, the fizzing buckets were at 1.082. Hit it with k-meta then later pitched 3 packets rc212 just in case it could be successful.

The past two years 3 out of 5 times I have picked up buckets from both of my sources that were already active.

I believe store bought yeast will be the dominant yeast and take over the ferment. To make sure it won't stall you might try adding some yeast nutrients.....to keep the yeast fed.

I shoulda also added some Kmeta to kill it but I was stubborn. More concerned with MLF and took a successful AF for granted. But I did have good reason. I've never had anything ever finish short of dry before this season. --which was probably 15-20 different wines I've made over the last couple years and annual juice buckets for years before that.
Ya live ya learn

Oh, and Mr Gentile, I remember it came up in discussion before but I forget what was said. Did you ever figure out what the deal was with "ingredients-Grape juice, so2 and POSSIBLY citric acid" written on the bucket?

Last edited:
Yeah I hear ya, I'll never know if the RC212 won out or not but wanted to give it a chance. At .998 I transferred yesterday with the AIO, will rack off lees tomorrow and add MLB.

"ingredients-Grape juice, so2 and POSSIBLY citric acid" No one ever chimed in, but it was discussion about what acid was better to add to grape must/juice, but I was curious as to the "possibly" "citric acid" in the Regina juice. My guess right now it's listed because off possibly being in there from vessels it's transferred or processed in being cleaned/sanitized with k-meta/citric acid solution.

Or is it added sometimes to adjust acid? If so why citric acid?

Your theory sounds legit to me. And is the only possible reason for citric acid I'd think too. But they list so2 at 100 ppm. So even if over 50% of that becomes bound, wouldn't 40-50 free so2 be enough to kill of wild yeast?
Maybe that 100 ppm is added a couple weeks and racks prior. Because it seems fairly common for juice pails to show activity for people. From all suppliers.
If I ever got multiple buckets again I'd like to do one natural, on purpose this time. And feed it nutrients and help it along. I'd have direct comparisons and also would be blending with other buckets after AF anyway if it fell short.

Back