jam wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
I'm going to try making wine from Smuckers strawberry jam. What would be a good yeast to use? also, would a bag be used to contain the seeds or will they settle to the bottom? I posted this under recipes, but did not get answered. Has anyone made wine from jam? How did it turn out?

I've seen this on another forum, but can't remember which one. Perhaps someone else remembers.
Now keep in mind I'm just guessing a bit since I've never made a wine from jam before, but I've had great results using 71B lalvin yeast. Don't think the bag would do you much good only because I've had as many seeds escape from it as stayed in the bag, again keep in mind I've been using the steam juicer for a while now. I would recommend using a bit extra pectic enzyme to help with the clearing.
How big a batch are you making?

I would go on lalvins website and look for one with the hishest acholol tolerance,

vcasey said:
I've seen this on another forum, but can't remember which one. Perhaps someone else remembers.
Now keep in mind I'm just guessing a bit since I've never made a wine from jam before, but I've had great results using 71B lalvin yeast. Don't think the bag would do you much good only because I've had as many seeds escape from it as stayed in the bag, again keep in mind I've been using the steam juicer for a while now. I would recommend using a bit extra pectic enzyme to help with the clearing.
How big a batch are you making?

I have made 2 5 gallon batches of blackberry wine from seedles jam this year. Both have been excellent. I current have a 3 gallon batch of black raspberry melomel going using black raspberry jam and 10lbs of frozen black raspberrys.
Use a double dose of pectic enzyme before pitching yeast. I have used 71-b for all these batches, but it always gets stressed. (slow fermentation, funky smells etc.) I think kv1116 or ec1118 might be better choices to power through these ferments

Latest posts

Back