Jack Keller Method

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbwii

Reaction score
I just read Jack Keller's method for extending the process when making kit wines. I would like to know if anyone has tried it and if so did it make a big difference? It seems like more fun, but I just wanted to know if it really made a big difference.

The Jack Keller Extended Instructions is one of many approaches for extending kit wine making time. For example, WineMaker Magazine has a 90 day schedule.

http://www.winemakermag.com/component/content/article/26/850-making-your-kit-wine-shine-redeaux

I believe most kit wine makers with more than one or two kits always follow an extended schedule of one form or another. Keep in mind that kit wine makers want to sell kits and offer an approach to get kits finished quickly, but not necessarily at their best.

Depending on the kit it may not only make a big difference, it's just about required. Choose an approach and give it a try.

Last edited:
TonyP said:
The Jack Keller Extended Instructions is one of many approaches for extending kit wine making time. For example, WineMaker Magazine has a 90 day schedule. I believe most kit wine makers with more than one or two kits always follow an extended schedule of one form or another. Keep in mind that kit wine makers want to sell kits and offer an approach to get kits finished quickly, but not necessarily at their best.

Depending on the kit it may not only make a big difference, it's just about required. Choose an approach and give it a try.

There are some good things in his instructions. Added tannins for red wines is a good idea.

For my kits, I generally follow the directions with the exception of bulk aging.

I find the cheaper kits to be too thin, so I add a gallon less water. Make it 5 gallons, not 6.

Someone on another forum was given three kits with agreement that she would do one by instructions one by Jack Keller and one by Tim V's 90 days. I have not seen any of her posts in many months. I'll try to find it again. She even started a blog I think.

tonyt - I was occasionally following that comparison test as well and it was very interesting, but like you, I haven't seen any conclusions or updates.

My goodness, 'Tim' from WineMaker mag doesn't recommend bulk aging past 90 days because of the relatively poor seal between the neck of a carboy and the bung. I have to say I agree, no amount of pressing seems to get my bungs to sit really solidly in the carboys, and can't wait to bottle my current batches (both approaching 90 days now)

But this must be consiered sacreligous by some people!

My goodness, 'Tim' from WineMaker mag doesn't recommend bulk aging past 90 days because of the relatively poor seal between the neck of a carboy and the bung. I have to say I agree, no amount of pressing seems to get my bungs to sit really solidly in the carboys, and can't wait to bottle my current batches (both approaching 90 days now)

But this must be consiered sacreligous by some people!

Sheperd, I suspect virtually all winemakers believe wine is safer in a bottle than in a carboy. The challenge is in balance between bulk aging, which has advantages and bottles which have different advatnatges.

You probably know, but for others who may not, the Tim in the article is Tim Vandergrift, technical guru for Winexpert, and he had a similar position at RJS before that.

Similar to what others said, stretching out the time is always a good thing, and the differences between the methods are minor. The kit instructions are invariably too short. My only qualm with Keller's method is how he doesn't use a primary bucket (IIRC). I feel weird having my wine sit on that much of the lees for that long - I'd rather go primary till under 1.02, then secondary in a carboy. Other than that, a very similar schedule.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just ordered another kit so I think I will try an extended method on. I will read Tim's and then decide which one to try (provided I have all of the supplies needed :( )

I have to say I agree, no amount of pressing seems to get my bungs to sit really solidly in the carboys
I have rubber, silicone and universal bungs and exclusively use the universal bungs now because I find they make the most solid seal. It actually takes a large amount of effort to remove one once I have set it tight. As Mike Ibglwoin says YMMV.

I like to bulk age my wines for 9 to 12 months before bottling. The challenge for me is I winter in Florida for 4 to 5 months. Last year when I arrived back to Pennsylvania one airlock out of 30 of them had evaporated to the point there was no seal in the air lock. That batch was a Shiraz made from a California juice bucket and had french oak added. I do not know what happened but it is absolutely the very best wine I ever made and rivals the best wine I ever purchased!

Margo Anton's Blog Comparison Tests

Here is the link to the comparison test that Margo Anton is doing to compare Kit Instructions v. Tim V's 90 day method and Jack K's extended method. At the bottling point of the extended methods, which was in April 2012 - 6 months after starting, there didn't seem to be much difference between the Tim and Jack batches but both sounded better than the kit instruction control. The next tasting is due at 1 year. This hopefully means 1 year in the bottle and would then be due in April. If it was one year from starting, then it either didn't happen or the blog didn't get updated.

Here is the link
http://wineframes.blogspot.com/

Bob

Back