It's that time again...............

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobe05

Reaction score
Last Sunday morning we woke up to this:

20090309_143645_100_2158.jpg

But starting Wednesday, it started warming...... and Warming...... And Warming.........

Now I look at this:

The Asparagus is popping through:

20090309_143901_100_2160.jpg

The Pear Trees are budding:

20090309_144121_100_2164.jpg

The Mulberry tree is getting bud swell:

20090309_144330_100_2166.jpg

The Peach trees, The Plum Tress, the Elderberry trees are all in Bloom:

20090309_144532_100_2180.jpg

20090309_144644_100_2174.jpg

Crab Apple trees are budding:
20090309_144947_100_2177.jpg

Even the Raspberries are poking through:

20090309_144810_100_2176.jpg

Even got my plants started and ready to go in the ground!

20090309_145156_100_2181.jpg

80 Degrees here the past couple of days........... No signs of what we saw on Sunday.

Don't you love being in the garden in the spring?

Spring has sprung

The snow has fell

Summers a coming

It'll be hotter n hell

But boy yore plants

are sure looking "swell"

It looked like that first picture around here today. After a few beautiful days (even if it rained some), today it decided to snow a couple inches again. It isn't quite spring here yet, but it's getting closer.

I'm gonna be up there in a couple of days so if you can't warm it up a but before that, I'll have to bring my own weather with me......................

But don't get use to it............

I'm taking it with me when I leave.

Snowing about an inch an hour here...

Blizzard Watch has turned into a Blizzard Warning...

Hope we can get the flock out of here during the night...

Adios Amigos.

I've already got squash, eggplants, choi, mustard greens, collard greens, tomatos, banana peppers, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, and arugala in the ground growing well. Next week, the yellow meated and orange meated watermelons get planted. Whats taking you guys so long?<BR minmax_bound="true">

I'm jealous! I have at least another month before I can plant. I'm ordering seeds (a bit late this year) and a truck load of compost first thing in the morning.

BikerShannon said:
and a truck load of compost first thing in the morning.

I keep two compost bins going at all times. Love to grow stuff and eat it. Compost is about to get a lot better, going to add two steers to the back pasture at the end of this month (maybe beginning of April). I do have 20 hens that contribute to the compost right now. They are happy to do it.

We compost, but with the heavy clay soil we have it isn't enough to get our garden going in the spring. We have to add about 6 cubic yards twice a year to keep the ground soft.
I want chickens, but my husband says no. I may have to do like I did with the dog. I just got her while he was at work. He loves her like his own child now!

We have terrible red clay soils.

We have farms were we can get free Horse Manure, which is high in a lot of the good stuff for the garden, but because horses are pickier eaters, you get less weeds, just has to be composted for a year first, then that goes on in the spring. In the fall, we go to the dump and get the composted leaves. It's almost like black muck, good stuff.

My neighbor goes around to construction sites in the fall and gets a few sheets of Sheetrock that they are tearing out of places. He lets that sit over the garden during the winter. At some point mid winter, he goes out and pulls the paper off. Then in the spring tills in the gypsum. He has turned his red clay soil into nice black soil. Mine has gone from a nice red to brown over the last few years.

jobe05 said:
My neighbor goes around to construction sites in the fall and gets a few sheets of Sheetrock that they are tearing out of places. He lets that sit over the garden during the winter. At some point mid winter, he goes out and pulls the paper off. Then in the spring tills in the gypsum. He has turned his red clay soil into nice black soil.

Thats interesting.

We will have to wait two more months for the asparagus and the trees to look like that!!

Blizzard warnings to the north, 1-3 inches of snow heretonight and below zero by tomorrow.

It will sure be nice to see green again.

Wow........

I get cold shivers just looking at that picture.........

Can I drink the chokecherry Now!?

A variant on Waldo's epic pome

Spring is sprung
the grass is riz.
I wonder where the boidies is.
The boidies is on the wing, but that's absoid
the wing is on the boid.

We lucked out and only got about 4" of snow. But the wind chill and actual temp are crazy for this time of year. Minus 14 actual and wind chills in the minus 20s. I'll bet Jack on Rainy has it really bad
smiley7.gif

Latest posts

Back