Old vines and not a clue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So when I was going up, my grandparents had this beautiful orchard, four massive apple trees all Granny Smith/? (Something crosses no one knows) a few pear trees, a peach tree and 4 cherry trees sour and sweet. They also had this single long row of I'm assuming Concord grapes growing next to the wood line. Now that you have a picture let's fast forward about 20 years, and my grandparents have been gone for around 7 years. The orchard is still on my parents property but it's nothing like it's former glory. Its gone basically untouched for around 10 or so years. So I have been slowly trying to do what I can to cut back the tall grass and weeds and prune some of the trees, we are down to about 2 of the massive apple trees one pear and one very very sad cherry and let's not forget this massive over grown tangle of grape vines that's all that's left. I would like to bring it back and have plans to plant some new fruit trees. But I geuss my question is after this long post sorry, just trying to paint a picture. My question is, what can I do about the vines? I'd love to have the Concord grapes I remember my gram making and canning juice and jelly every year, though never wine they only drank wine on Sunday for church. I just don't know how to approach this tangle of vines I could hide a full size pickup in. They had what looks to be a pipe trellis buried in there some where. But do I just cut it way back? I know I won't see grapes this year or even next year I assume, but is there anything I can do to start on the right direction? For context the "patch" is about 40 foot long and about 25+30 foot wide out into a open space with the main vines in the ground on the edge of the wood line. I tried taking a picture but honestly anything short of a drone won't do this justice. If their is any saving it I would appreciate any advice, if not I'm ok with cutting it back and starting over. Just would be nice to make some different stuff including wine with the same grapes they used. Thanks in advance guys!

it can be done. first identify one riser and a cordon off the riser at the height of the trellis. cut off everything else. try to keep at least 40 buds on the one cordon or cane you retain. do this once plants are dormant. some trimming can be done now if you can safely identify one cane otherwise wait to fall or early spring. next year there will be an attempt by the plant to start suckers at different locations than the cane you saved. keep trimming them off. the following year again identify a cane that you wish to retain and prune of everything else. it may be difficult to retain 40 buds and still have room on the trellis to extend the cane as it will be quite long. instead of extending the can tie it to the trellis in a circle. the reason 40 buds that is the quantity that Concord grape loves to have for growth and grape production.

You can save it you just have to cut about 90% of it off. I saved my neighbors 17 year old vine after he ignored it for ever. He was shocked and I think a little upset over how much I cut. Next year he had the biggest crop ever. Good luck.

Back