It's February, So I'm thinking Chile...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boatboy
I did a Chilean Syrah and Malbec 50/50 blend and it is phenomenal and getting better with age. I highly recommend it give it a try. You'll thank me later.
jhawk

Thanks,
Looks like a 11.5 hr. drive either way , to Presque Iles or Harford.
My closest winery is only doing local grapes this year.

Maybe I can figure something out, I was wanting to try both pail and grapes (Merlot & Cab) this spring, if not I will be making the drive in the fall for sure.
Would probably be to long from pickup, to procedure anyway. Around 17 to 20 hours after initial pickup.

JohnT's post/small article, painted a picture in my mind, that has motivated me. Along with your thread "It's February, So I'm thinking Chile... lol

11.5 hours???? There simply MUST be someplace closer to you. I could almost drive from NJ to Tenn in about 11 hours!

Have you looked into something in Ga?

Boatboy
I did a Chilean Syrah and Malbec 50/50 blend and it is phenomenal and getting better with age. I highly recommend it give it a try. You'll thank me later.
jhawk

That is a blend I haven't about....

11.5 hours???? There simply MUST be someplace closer to you. I could almost drive from NJ to Tenn in about 11 hours!

Have you looked into something in Ga?

I have not tried Ga. , I will look into that. I'm thinking on focusing on the Fall harvest. This will give me more time to get everything together , and make the best connections. I agree there has to be something closer, and cheaper than a 50.00 charge per bucket for delivery. I Know one thing for sure I'll drive before I pay 600. to 900. in shipping. Lol. I like Merlot and Cab. Sauv. but......

I have not tried Ga. , I will look into that. I'm thinking on focusing on the Fall harvest. This will give me more time to get everything together , and make the best connections. I agree there has to be something closer, and cheaper than a 50.00 charge per bucket for delivery. I Know one thing for sure I'll drive before I pay 600. to 900. in shipping. Lol. I like Merlot and Cab. Sauv. but......

I believe that St. Louis Wine and Beer will be bringing in juice buckets. That would be led than an 11 hour trip I am pretty sure.

Here in Cincinnati we get buckets at Listermanns. I go to Tennesse often (Winchester) and it's 7 hours. But I thought I remembered that a place in Louisville KY gets buckets also. That should be a lot shorter.

Pam in cinti

I know that most here already know this, but let me put this out anyway..

Please Remember:

If you are ordering fresh Chilean grapes, they are normally sold in half lug crates of 18 pounds. This is unlike California grapes that are normally sold in full lugs (36 pounds).

In your figuring, expect to get around 6 bottles of Chilean wine for each crate you purchase.

I know that most here already know this, but let me put this out anyway..

Please Remember:

If you are ordering fresh Chilean grapes, they are normally sold in half lug crates of 18 pounds. This is unlike California grapes that are normally sold in full lugs (36 pounds).

In your figuring, expect to get around 6 bottles of Chilean wine for each crate you purchase.

I estimate 1.25 gallons per Chilean lug (pretty much right at your 6 bottles).

And just to add more confusion, my supplier has South African lugs that are 20lbs each. I never knew I'd need a degree in math in order to make wine. :?

Placed my order with Harford Vineyard and Winery this morning. :db

Buckets: Carmenere, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot
Grape lugs: Carmenere, Cabernet Sauvignon (2), Syrah (2), Merlot

I'm thinking about adding a lug or two of Petite Verdot for blending. Two lugs would get me 2-2.5 gallons and that should be plenty to add a little color and depth to the mix. And a Carmenere/PV blend would mimic one of my favorite Chilean wines: Purple Angel.

To reiterate: I'm doing buckets this spring to increase the number of varietals for blends without a dramatic increase in cost. The Malbec and Carmenere I did in 2013 with 1 juice bucket and 1 lug of grapes have turned out really well, with no lacking for color or body that I've noticed.

Hey Jim,

I noticed in Harford's email that the white orders need to be in by the end of this month. What is the earliest you've seen the white buckets/grapes come in? I'm going to be out of town for a long weekend in the middle of April and wonder if they have ever arrived that early.

Guess I could email Teresa, I'm sure they could hold it for a week, or at least until sometime the next week till I could pick it up.

Hey Jim,

I noticed in Harford's email that the white orders need to be in by the end of this month. What is the earliest you've seen the white buckets/grapes come in? I'm going to be out of town for a long weekend in the middle of April and wonder if they have ever arrived that early.

Guess I could email Teresa, I'm sure they could hold it for a week, or at least until sometime the next week till I could pick it up.

Nice thing about buckets is they keep a while. In my limited experience, the Chileans come in to Harford in May.

Nice thing about buckets is they keep a while. In my limited experience, the Chileans come in to Harford in May.

Yea, and I think he keeps that storage room of his about 33*F if I'm remembering what he said last year.

I just emailed her, but after checking old emails I saved from last year there are pickups from the day they come in through the next week. I had to show up on a Saturday because I wanted my red grapes destemmed and crushed, they just happened to get the white and reds in the same week so I only had one trip.

Their email made it sound like there is a chance it will be on different weekends this year.

Yea, and I think he keeps that storage room of his about 33*F if I'm remembering what he said last year.

Don't know the exact temp, but it's very cold in there. Two years ago, I was picking up on a Monday and needed crush/destem service. They did that for me on Sunday and added 50ppm of sulfite. My grapes were in large bins so we transferred to my buckets inside the walk in. I was in shorts and a t-shirt and froze my grapes off!

Don't know the exact temp, but it's very cold in there. Two years ago, I was picking up on a Monday and needed crush/destem service. They did that for me on Sunday and added 50ppm of sulfite. My grapes were in large bins so we transferred to my buckets inside the walk in. I was in shorts and a t-shirt and froze my grapes off!

That's what I love about them, they will do about anything to make it work. I just stole a taste from my Merlot blend carboy that I added Tannin Extra Riche to about 6 weeks ago, and even though it isn't a year old yet, this is a really great tasting wine. Amazing how much it has changed since January when I racked it last.

They deliver a really good product and have great one-on-one service. I don't care what anyone else says about having to use only grapes etc, for the money a juice bucket and a lug of grapes is just fine for me and my taste buds! What a cost effective way to experiment with different varieties.

Edit: Teresa emailed back, they are expecting both whites and reds in early May at this point. Obviously that can change with little notice.

Last edited:
Sounds like juice buckets may be available for pickup starting April 28th or 29th. Some whole grapes may not come in until later. Guess that is standard operating procedure.

Latest posts

Back