Italian Spigot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
How high should I drill the hole for installing a bottling spigot on my primary? I know I need a 1" drill bit. But what is the optimal location for installation?

Just high enough so the spigot mouth doesn't hit whenbucket is sittingon floor, that will also leave room for lees,should work if not ........oops

Thanks,

Made the amateur mistake. I used a 1 inch wood bit. The hole drilled was less than perfect. Needless to say I will be ordering a new primary. With the hole predrilled.............

It doesnt have to be perfect. Just make sure to put a gasket on both sides and tighten hand tight. If not tight enough it will leak and if over tightened it will leak. Test with water first so you dont have to stick your SANITIZED hands into the must to get it right.

No wade, the bit jumped around and cut a weird circle like pattern. I tried adjusting the gaskets, but nothing worked. It leaked like a sieve once water got over the level of the spigot. I'll just need to buy a new one.

Mike

Next time try a whole saw bit or Forstners bit. They will make a nice round whole since they use variations of a centering bit.

Dont try and drill 1 of those!
smiley36.gif

It would be a nice thing if the manufacturers thought of this as well when they install the spigots.

Scuba

You can order one from George that is pre drilled, or get an expandable plug to fill that hole and drill another.

For what it's worth, I am reducing my inventory of buckets with spigots for several reasons. I use the 10 gallon Brute food grade containers as my primaries and siphon to secondaries for several reasons: 1) The added volume eliminates concerns about foam-over during primary fermentation; 2) The smooth interior makes cleaning and sterilization very easy; 3) The handles make lifting much easier; 4) The potential for leaks is eliminated; 5) I can ferment from 1-7 gallons easily; and 6) They are flexible and far more durable than buckets.

I still use the buckets with spigots for bottling.

I have also started changing all my glass carboys to Better Bottles. Their only downside is that you can't vacuum degas in them. I use glass for that.

Best wishes.

Scott said:
You can order one from George that is pre drilled, or get an expandable plug to fill that hole and drill another.

Where can I get an expandable plug?

Back