Italian Floor Corker Misery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have any corks besides mine to try? Just looking at it from all angles.

I have another call in to LD Carlson. There has to be something awry. The good news is that you got it from me and therefore, it is backed with my guarantee. I would like to get yours fixed, but if we can't, I will replace it.

geocorn said:
Do you have any corks besides mine to try? Just looking at it from all angles.

I have another call in to LD Carlson. There has to be something awry. The good news is that you got it from me and therefore, it is backed with my guarantee. I would like to get yours fixed, but if we can't, I will replace it.

Yeah, I tried 3-4 different kinds between 1.5" and 1.75" Yours and the ones that have the grape design on them

Steve

Smurfe.....

Do you need to borrow a corker? I have a Portuguese double levercorker you can borrow until I go offshore.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

USAFCajun

usafcajun said:
Smurfe.....

Do you need to borrow a corker? I have a Portuguese double levercorker you can borrow until I go offshore.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

USAFCajun

I don't have anything "pressing" that needs to be bottled right away. I have 2 kits that will be ready in a week or so but it isn't essential they be bottled. My next two kits are reds and will be bottled in Bordeaux bottles which I don't really have problems with so I should be good there if we can't figure this issue out.

I an leaning toward the bottles but this corker is supposed to be able to cork virtually any type of bottle from what I have read. I do appreciate the offer ind if needed, I will get ahold of you. Nice to have neighbors on here and if there is anything I have you need to borrow, the offer is there as well.

Smurfe

I am sending you a replacement corker with a return label for your corker. LD Carlson and I are at a loss to explain what is causing your problem; therefore, I would like to examine it, myself. You should be able to re-use the packaging to return your corker. If you have any questions, please give me acall.

geocorn said:
I am sending you a replacement corker with a return label for your corker. LD Carlson and I are at a loss to explain what is causing your problem; therefore, I would like to examine it, myself. You should be able to re-use the packaging to return your corker. If you have any questions, please give me acall.

All I can say is WOW, Thanks and I truly appreciate it. I hope your supplier takes care of you as well. This is why I shop here. In the beginning I bought a few things at other places more or less to check their companies out or they had an item on special or close outthat you didn't carry. I had issues with every other place but one (which is also there in Texas).I never re-ordered from any of themand for months I have not even looked else where. This serviceis exactly why. Once again, Thanks so much!

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe

Sorry for not getting back to you, but I had no answers and you were getting lots of help or ones trying too.

One idea I had was, is your bottle platform locking down when you go to push the cork in.....it has been a while, but it seems to me that I had a small problem with that when I got my corker....there is an adjustment on the locking rod...

I see George is sending you another one, but I would like to find out what the problem is just to know because I have one too..Edited by: Bert

geocorn said:

Does anyone need more reasons to shop at FVW?
smiley32.gif

I'm sold
smiley20.gif
. George, you are the man!

Fellow winemakers, this is "real" customer service!

George, Fed Ex will pick up the return package tomorrow here at my office. I forgot they did that. So it should be heading your way tomorrow. Once again, thanks for the service with a smile.

Steve
smiley1.gif

Well now i worried about my cheap porteguese floor corker. How long is it going to last before things start wearing out? Right now I would not trade it for anything works great.

OldWino said:
Well now i worried about my cheap porteguese floor corker. How long is it going to last before things start wearing out? Right now I would not trade it for anything works great.

I don't think I would worry about it too much, I think I had issues from the beginning with mine. As I open more bottle I notice that I have had a problem since the beginning and it has only progressively gotten worse so it appear my corker had issues all along.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I think that Poor Smurfe just got a lemon and everyone else should be just fine.

Smurfe, have you used your new corker yet?

PolishWineP said:
I think that Poor Smurfe just got a lemon and everyone else should be just fine.

Smurfe, have you used your new corker yet?

Used her today to bottle two batches. Worked like a charm! It was truly a pleasure to bottle today. Not one issue with one cork!

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

That is great news. We have your old corker and plan to take it apart tomorrow. Will let everyone know what we discover.

OldWino said:

I've heard of people using them for thousands of bottles without problems. Actually, back in November my wife & I were visiting wineries in NE Ohio, and at one we followed a tour given by the winemaker. His corker? The Porteguese floor corker!
smiley36.gif
That means you own the same equipment professional wineries (albeit small ones) use!
smiley2.gif

Plus, if you plastic iris ever does wear out, you can purchase a replacement iris.

Funky Fish said:
OldWino said:

I've heard of people using them for thousands of bottles without problems. Actually, back in November my wife & I were visiting wineries in NE Ohio, and at one we followed a tour given by the winemaker. His corker? The Porteguese floor corker!
smiley36.gif
That means you own the same equipment professional wineries (albeit small ones) use!
smiley2.gif

Plus, if you plastic iris ever does wear out, you can purchase a replacement iris.

I to have seen a few small wineries that used the same corker I have.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

I think we have solved the mystery of this floor corker. The problem appears to be in the base that holds the bottle in place. We did not have any problems with 750's, but we could not get a cork to insert into a 375, no matter what we tried.

When we examined the base, it appeared off centered. As a result, the cork was not going straight into the bottle. I am going to send it to LD Carlson for their review and I will post what they tell me, but the bottom line is that the corker is not working properly. It was not operator error!

ALCON,

Fellow winemakers please take note: George (Fine Vine Wines) is an example of what all customer service should be!
smiley32.gif
My hat is tipped to you.
smiley2.gif

Back