WineXpert Italian Barolo Wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big-al

Big Al
Reaction score
Trying to decide between Eclipse Italian Barolo Wine Kit or the Selection Italian Brunello. Is the eclipse worth the extra cost ? any feedback would be welcome.

If you buy from Ohio, the costs are:

Eclipse Italian Barolo Wine Kit: $119
Selection Barolo: $71
World Vineyard Italian Barolo: $62

Eclipse: 18 liters, grape skins, labels
Selection: 16 liters, ?labels
World Vineyard: 10 liters

IMHO, if you are going to tie up space for 2 years, you might as well spend the extra $40 (a little more than $1 per bottle) and get a better wine. Barolo is a "big" wine. So make it as "big" as you can (grape skins and more juice).

Haven't made the Selection, but in my experience, the higher end kits are worth every penny.

FWIW, I started the Eclipse Barolo in October and bottled at the end of April. Obviously too young at this point, but the one split I've tried thus far was excellent for its age.

I bottled the eclipse Barolo in mid March of this year. I opened a bottle last week. It is already awesome, and one of the top five wines I have made. It has a good balance of oak and fruit. Making a "big red" like that without skins or currants wouldn't be as effective.
Heather

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

I have made the Selection Brunello with grapeskins several times now. The first batch didn't make it to one year, as it is really good at three months. I got almost a case to one year on the second batch, and it's even better. Next summer will be the first that will be two years old, and I have another resting right now. It is good!
Having said that, I have not been disappointed by any Eclipse kit I've made, and that's starting to be quite a few. Considered the Eclipse Barolo when I decided on the Barosa Valley Shiraz, as I have several cases of LE Italian Nebiollo. I will make that Eclipse Barolo one day.

Hello everyone.
I'm new to this site, just stumbled across it yesterday, decided to sign up today.

I have both the Sel. Brunello and the Eclipse Barolo getting close to a year and a half. We entered them both in a blind tasting among friends a few months back, along we three other commercial wines in the $10 - $15 range, and the Eclipse was significantly better. It beat out the Brunello, which scored fourth, plus all the commercial wines. It's definitely near the top of my list of kits to make again. The Brunello, not so near the top.

Hello everyone.
I'm new to this site, just stumbled across it yesterday, decided to sign up today.

I have both the Sel. Brunello and the Eclipse Barolo getting close to a year and a half. We entered them both in a blind tasting among friends a few months back, along we three other commercial wines in the $10 - $15 range, and the Eclipse was significantly better. It beat out the Brunello, which scored fourth, plus all the commercial wines. It's definitely near the top of my list of kits to make again. The Brunello, not so near the top.

Welcome to the forum!

I received the WE Selection Brunello kit last week. It came with skins which were wet like a must. Not dry the needs to be rehydrated. 18L of juice as well as French AND Hungarian oak. I haven't made a big red yet but I'm really looking forward to this.

Sent from my iPhone

I need to update my original post regarding the Sel. Brunello. I opened a bottle this evening (now at a year and a half) and not only has it developed a nice aroma/nose at least for a kit wine (this is where kits lag the most). It is significantly better than it was at the tasting we entered it in five or so months back. It's gotten significantly better, regarding my previous opinion on whether or not I'd buy it again. It's definitely been bumped up a few notches on the list.

I need to update my original post regarding the Sel. Brunello. I opened a bottle this evening (now at a year and a half) and not only has it developed a nice aroma/nose at least for a kit wine (this is where kits lag the most). It is significantly better than it was at the tasting we entered it in five or so months back. It's gotten significantly better, regarding my previous opinion on whether or not I'd buy it again. It's definitely been bumped up a few notches on the list.

I got that Brunello in bottle and tasted it a couple days ago but it is still green, tart...

I pitched yeast Sept. 11, 2013 and bottled Feb. 17 this year.

Got the Eclipse. Will sub the yeast to BM 4x4. Will use Opti-Red and FT rouge tannins during fermentation.

I got that Brunello in bottle and tasted it a couple days ago but it is still green, tart...

I pitched yeast Sept. 11, 2013 and bottled Feb. 17 this year.

Let it age a while and try it again. I'm quite happy with the improvement in this wine from just over 12 months up to 18 months.

I made the Selection Barolo in January.
I added my used Super Tuscan Grape Skins (the kit did not come with skins).
I then have been bulk aging since end of January.
My wine has been sitting in an oak barrel since end of May.

I had no idea to expect, but so far this is a very drinkable wine.
I can not wait until I bottle, in about a month and see what this wine truly is capable of.

Got the Eclipse. Will sub the yeast to BM 4x4. Will use Opti-Red and FT rouge tannins during fermentation.
Question: If you've never made a particular style of kit before, and you "tweak" it, and then don't like it (or do like it for that matter), how do you know whether the kit or the "tweeks" are the problem or solution?
Phrased another way, wouldn't it be best to make one straight up to use as a "control" before tweaking?

Question: If you've never made a particular style of kit before, and you "tweak" it, and then don't like it (or do like it for that matter), how do you know whether the kit or the "tweeks" are the problem or solution?
Phrased another way, wouldn't it be best to make one straight up to use as a "control" before tweaking?

I really don't consider these "tweaks" but more like enhancements.

The BM4x4 yeast brings out a more fruit forward wine.

The opti-red for color enhancement.

The Ft Rouge tannins are sacrificial and help the short chain natural tannins form long chain. Refer to Tannin thread for more info.

These "tweaks" would not change the wine but in enhance it.

I get your point yet I've found myself doing, on occasion, tweaks without "control". I've learned a lot just from this forum over the past year plus to try a tweak or two to a batch that I feel pretty confident will improve a lower end kit. Similar to one of the posters above I've twice now used grape skins save from a higher end kit to tweak a lower end kit. But you're right that without a "control" I've no evidence or proof that my tweak has made the wine better than it would have been otherwise and if at all to what degree.

Lori,

I thought the selection is 16L of juice plus the skins.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I think I saw somewhere that these kits were "new". I haven't done one before so I don't know, but this one is definitely 18L. Even without my cheater glasses. lol

96F9B8B2-B548-418C-B74C-B9C82A08AEB8.jpg

Back