Cellar Craft Italian Barbera

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice Jack. I'll keep that in mind.
smiley1.gif
I figure on starting one again say in 3 or 4 years. I will need to make a white also but I thinkI can start that one after he finds someone.

Since this topic is about a CC Italian Barbera, I have a question re same. I started one 4 days ago, and the starting sg was 1.070. This was the lowest I have ever seen on a non-mist type kit. Yes, the hydrometer is calibrated, and the must stirred plenty.

The CC folks say it should be ok and the the sg should be taken on the second day and it would be higher.

I am skeptical.

Oh, this is the 12l kit.

any ideas or experiences?

Thanks

Russ

The smaller kits do seem to have lower SG's but even that seems low to me.

Geez, i have made lots of smaller kit including several VR Mezza Luna Reds and Whites. Actually 17 in all. The MLW's have always been over 1.090 and the MLR's have been at or near 1.080. These have been 7.5 liter kits.

The "mist" kits are usually around 1.050, but that is a design factor.
Edited by: rrs18

I only do the Cellar Classic Winery Series or En Primeur and those are almost always 1.150 its been awhile since Ive done a smaller kit.

Mine started out low also. HoweverI found out that I hadn't stirred it good enough at the start. I stirred it a day or so after it had started and the SG went up to 1.085 to 1.090. I'm not sure why I didn't stir it at the start. My only excuse is that it is my first kit. This kit is an 18 liter with grape skins. Right now it is resting on the oak cubes.

Now that this is up how long do you think I should leave this on the oak. It has been on it since the 4Th of July?Edited by: swillologist

You should be tasting it about every 2-3 weeks to make sure you dont over oak it.

You may want someone to taste it for you swill as from what I understand you may not have your wine tasting ability in full right now. It should taste a little oakier then what you would want as that will settle and smooth in to your wine.

I'm not sure I have a good wine tasting ability even if it wasn't for this. But definitely don't have a good taster right now. Thanks again.

Hey swill...You make wines and hang out here with the rest of us so I would say you have pretty good taste
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back