Other Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdtexan

Reaction score
I was reading this post and I noticed that Wade said he raised the ABV level in that particular kit by adding sugar. I would like to do that when my kit gets here (anydaynow) but wouldnt even know where to start. I dont even know what the ABV level is but from what I've read its pretty low.

¿Any ideas?

I pour all the ingredients needed into the primary bucket with the exception of some water, I calculate how much water is needed and warm it up to dissolve 4 lbs of sugar into it and then add that into primary bucket checking a few times while pouring to make sure you do not go above 1.085. If you get there and still arent at the proper level in your primary the start adding water back and the sugar mix until you are there. Youd rather be a little lower but dont go above that.

wade said:
I pour all the ingredients needed into the primary bucket with the exception of some water, I calculate how much water is needed and warm it up to dissolve 4 lbs of sugar into it and then add that into primary bucket checking a few times while pouring to make sure you do not go above 1.085. If you get there and still arent at the proper level in your primary the start adding water back and the sugar mix until you are there. Youd rather be a little lower but dont go above that.

Thank You Wade

I know it isn't the recommended way of doing it, but I have in the past made up an Island Mist kit per specifications. I take a specific gravity reading to see what it is. I then do a quick rough calculation on needed sugar, measure it out in a bag and just pour it in the kit(make sure you have a 7.9 gallon primary.) I then stir it well for a couple minutes, let it sit for ten and stir again. I let it sit for about 12 hours or overnight and stir again. I then take my final SG reading before pitching the yeast. I have never had a fermentation end with any left over sugar on the bottom. The yeast just devours it up. Close enough for me.

By adding the sugar to the full 6 gallons, I end up with an extra bottles worth of wine which comes in handy when topping up is needed lateer. Never noticed any excessive dilution with them because they have so much added flavors anyways.

My first wine (3 months ago) was Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet. It tastes great.

The advertised alcohol content is 6.5%. From the taste of my wine, I'd say that's about right.

It's a light bodied, low alcohol wine (basically a wine cooler) that goes well sipping on a hot day by the pool. Or anytime else you get thirsty. It tastes absolutely great.

The downside is that it goes down like water. It's very easy to gulp instead of sip.

The next time I make it, I'm gonna add sugar to an SG of about 1.080 to boost the alcohol content to about 10-11%. Of course, this will probably mean that it will need more aging befoe it's really ready to drink.

Chopper said:
My first wine (3 months ago) was Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet. It tastes great.

The advertised alcohol content is 6.5%. From the taste of my wine, I'd say that's about right.

It's a light bodied, low alcohol wine (basically a wine cooler) that goes well sipping on a hot day by the pool. Or anytime else you get thirsty. It tastes absolutely great.

The downside is that it goes down like water. It's very easy to gulp instead of sip.

The next time I make it, I'm gonna add sugar to an SG of about 1.080 to boost the alcohol content to about 10-11%. Of course, this will probably mean that it will need more aging befoe it's really ready to drink.

Mine came out at about 12.5 to 13 % after I adjusted it. Everybody but me liked it. I gave a bunch away (they came back for more). My parents loved it. I did back sweeten

Wade, I didnt write it down but I did get the SG a little above 1.95 and I would have to walk next door to look at my notes (I keep my wine projects and notes in the spare house) to see what the FG was.

I find with the IM kits that abv of 9.5% or so is just about right. Any less and they have no kick. Any more and the alcohol overpowers the flavor until the wine ages for about 6 months. I made a Green Apple Reisling at about 11% and it tasted like rocket fuel until it was 6 months old.

Latest posts

Back