Is there anything wrong with my wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefrommichigan

Reaction score
Hi, I started a Winexpert, World Vineyard, Italian Sangiovese on Feb 2 2014. It was ready for bottling the middle of April, so I racked to a carboy and let it “age/rest etc” for approx 3 months. I decided to bottle it this morning, but to my dismay I noticed that the bung in the carboy was not very tight in the carboy neck. In fact when I knocked the airlock the bung came out.

I decided to continue with my bottling so I racked again to a clean carboy and added ¼ tsp of Sodium Metabisulphite before bottling.

After filling and corking all the bottles, I had a ½ bottle left over which I kept to taste.

The wine was very clear and I could not smell any off flavors, but there was a definite after flavor and the wine was maybe a little acidic. I had a friend taste the wine and he agreed with me.

I thought maybe my wine has oxidized because the bung was not on tight, but I do not know what oxidized wine looks or tastes like.

This is my first Sangiovese, so is there anything wrong with my wine?

Thanks
Mike

Could be oxidized. Hard to say how long the bung was loose. Did you get any tartaric acid drop out. You may with a kit get some which would reduce the acidic level.

Did you back sweeten at all. That would help the flavor. Even if only to .995-.998

Steve - No I did not back sweeten as it was already bottled when I tasted it
DoctorCad - I hope you are right.

Thanks

You'll know an oxidized wine when you see and smell it. I'm sure your wine is fine and is nothing to worry about, probably just green. Give it time and it will mellow out.

Oxidized wine often turns brown and has a very peculiar odor which you'll never forget once you smell it. It's hard to describe but it's not very pleasant and you won't want to drink it.

Oxidized wine has a sherry like odor to it. I agree with DrCAD and Sourgrapes, sounds like it needs to age. You did right in adding k-meta.

Thanks. It is all bottled, including some 375ml bottles for sampling. I intend trying a sample bottle every 2 to 3 months to see how it improves. I will post results as I taste them

I intend sampling a 375ml bottle every 2 - 3 months until I think it is ready. Probably 6 months or so.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back