Mosti Mondiale Is the Mosti Pail Food-Grade Plastic?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcb54

Reaction score
Is the pail that the Mosti All-Juice Pail Kit comes in food grade plastic; in other words, can they be used as a primary fermenter? Edited by: tcb54

Hey there tcb. I just used the AJ pail to ferment an apple wine and it worked like a champ. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the lid, used a sharp knife to open the hole up just a little more, installed a rubber grommet, attached and airlock and viola! It is great for smaller batches of wine. The apple wine was a 3 gallon batch.

I drilled mine with I think a 7/8" bit and used a rubber bung that usually goes into a 1 gallon jug.

It's item# 5108 and it costs $0.35. You might want to get a few in case you ever lose one.

I've been using these as secondary fermenting vessels. Have thegrommet George sells to insert the air lock and the lessor head space in the AJ pail, less than the primary,is quickly filled with CO2 as fermentation continues. Have been reluctant to extend lees contact in plastic so rack back to glass for that.

Do you really need the hole/airlock for primary ferm? I though just sitting the lid loosely on top was fine. Secondary is a diff story. Edited by: Jackie

You are right Jackie. The airlck is a personal preference. I rarely use the airlock, but once in a while I feel I want to use one.

Latest posts

Back