WineXpert Is sorbate and chitosan necessary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've started my LE Barbera kit, and I was thinking about maybe not using the sorbate and chitosan on this one. I used the bentonite, because I figured that wouldn't have any impact on the taste, and will help clearing. I'll also use the k-meta. Are there any precautions I should take when not using the sorbate and chitosan?

Hi Everyone,

I've started my LE Barbera kit, and I was thinking about maybe not using the sorbate and chitosan on this one. I used the bentonite, because I figured that wouldn't have any impact on the taste, and will help clearing. I'll also use the k-meta. Are there any precautions I should take when not using the sorbate and chitosan?

As long as you ferment dry, and let time in bulk aging do it's thing for clearing, they're both unnecessary.

do not add any sugar after fermentation and you should be fine. That includes any dried fruit that you way want to add.

When I make a dry red, I skip the bentonite too. Some say it also strips some flavor.

When omitting the clarifiers, how long does it typically take in bulk aging for a red to adequately clear? Are we talking 3 months or 6-12 months?

I've recently acquired an AIO w/ 5 micron filter canister and plan to use this for polishing at bottling time but of course don't want to use this for clarifying due to rapid fouling of the cartridge.

Back