Is 2 year old wine kit worth making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quntumleap1

Junior
Reaction score
I ordered a Passport Montepulciano wine kit in January 2016. Shortly after that we moved and packed everything in the basement of our new home. I just found the kit buried in some boxes that had not been unpacked. Is it worth trying to make this kit or should I just throw it out and order a new one. It had not been opened and spent all of its life in my relatively cool basement. After two years of getting settled in our new home and re-creating my basement shop I am ready to make some wine but don't want to waste my time on a kit that may not turn out.

Thanks

JOHN

What's the concentrate? A 10L kit should be fine but the risk of the juice/must having gone bad will increase, so I was once told by RJS CS, with the lower concentrated kits.The color and smell of the must might give you all the info you need to proceed or not in making the wine.

Thanks for the reply Jim - 2 years sealed seems like it would be ok? At least you could use the kmeta for cleaning.

I agree with your instincts, Chris. I think the k-meta will be fine, and probably the finings, too. Yeast and sorbate are probably best discarded.

I'd toss the additives too, no use taking a chance (especially with the sorbate) that they'd compromise a batch, especially when getting fresher stuff is relatively cheap. I'd be fine with the concentrate. You could always add some Opti-red or some other additive to keep any more of the red color from dropping out during fermentation, but other than that I'd think you'd have no issues. I've done 2 yr old kits but they were highly concentrated OB Cranberry Craze kits, so I think the added sweetener hid any possible defects from the old concentrate. Also my wife didn't notice any color defects, though I doubt she would since she drank the batches rather quickly.

Great comment. The juice should be great. cmason - why would you toss kmeta and clearing agents?
I just read an article (oh I wish my brain could remember where I read it) that kmeta, even kept sealed up is only good for about a year. Sorbate is generally accepted to only be good for 6 months. The clearing agents might or might not be good, so I would toss them as well. I would probably use the bentonite, clay really can't go bad, I wouldn't think.

Thanks for all your advice. The kit is 18L with a grape pack. I agree with everyone that the kmeta and sorbate need to be tossed. I read on another post that the chitosan and kieselsol are good if they are still clear. The chitosan is clear but the kieselsol is a little cloudy. Will probably pitch that as well. The yeast has an expiration date well into 2018 so I think that will work. And clay is inert and won't ever go bad as long as it is dry and sealed. Since this kit kind of in the middle between all juice and super concentrated does anyone have any thoughts on what the success rate would be. I am leaning toward forging ahead and making it since I have plenty of carboys and if it doesn't turn out I will already have something behind it to take its place.

I've done a couple expired kits. As mentioned..toss all additives unless the dates on packets are good. The wine might be a little brownish in color but the taste should still end well!

I found a Naughty Merlot at a local shop marked down to $30. For a buck a bottle I had to try it! The kit was three years old and the yeast was one month from expiration. I made it per instructions and it is bulk aging right now, all is good so far. I figured the fpack would hide any stale taste, but I never noticed that or an off color. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back