Initial amount for a 5 gallon strawberry batch?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Bill W

Junior
Reaction score
I'm very a much a novice at this and was wondering before I start this batch of Strawberry wine, how much an overall volume in the primary should I start with to get 5 gallons in the secondary? I know that there will be a pretty good leaving in the primary with all the fruit. I have a 6.5 gallon primary bucket and was planning on using about 17-18# of strawberries (side question is will this get a me a semi-sweet or do I need to back sweeten?). I just don't want to wind up with a lot of headspace and not know what to fill it with.

TIA
Bill

Nubz

Boozer
Reaction score
im not sure a bout how much on the berries
b ut i do know headspace in the primary doesnt matter
its when that stage is over and your must is in the secondary where headspace matters

wilkey43

Junior
Reaction score
on the strawberry wine I have found its 1/2 gallon of water, 2 lbs sugar with 3 1/2 lbs of berries is really close to a gallon of wine so

2 1/2 gal water
10 lbs sugar
17 1/2 lbs berries
5 tsp acid blend
1 1/4 tsp tannin
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
5 tsp nutrient
5 crushed campden tabs
lalvin K1-V1116 yeast
1 1/2 cup of orange juice for yeast starter

should make a 5 gallon batch

put OJ into a large glass and allow to come to room temp and add yeast and cover with clean cloth ( I place mine on top of my refridgerator near the back and allowed to sit)

heat up 2 1/2 gallons of distilled water to 200 deg F stir in 10 lbs of sugar until disolved

Put fruit into primary then pour heated water over fruit and let sit ( I prefer pouring heated water over frozen fruit this will help break down the pulp in the fruit)

mix other ingridents into a bowl of distilled water then mix into primary

cover and allow to sit for 24 hours

after 24 hours crush fruit and mix yeast into primary

Last edited:

Tom

Reaction score
I'm very a much a novice at this and was wondering before I start this batch of Strawberry wine, how much an overall volume in the primary should I start with to get 5 gallons in the secondary? I know that there will be a pretty good leaving in the primary with all the fruit. I have a 6.5 gallon primary bucket and was planning on using about 17-18# of strawberries (side question is will this get a me a semi-sweet or do I need to back sweeten?). I just don't want to wind up with a lot of headspace and not know what to fill it with.

TIA
Bill
You need more strawberries otherwise it will be thin and not much floavor. I would bump it to around 24#. I would also use2 fermenting buckets as the berries will add alot of bulk. Put the berries in 2 straining bags 1/2 in each bucket. Dont forget to punch down the cap 2-3X a day. Once you can measure the SG add enough sugar to get SG of 1.085. Any higher the alcohol will overpower the fruit. I always make a f-pac and backsweeten.
I have been making Strawberry wine for 6 years and have won awards doing this.

Bill W

Junior
Reaction score
Re: Initial amount for 5 gallon strawberry batch

Thanks Wilkey and Tom, now I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do.