inexpensive disposable sub 1 micron 10" filters?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cronos1013

Mazer
Reaction score
So I am looking for a polishing filters for my meads and wines and have been using the 10" 5 and 1 micron filters I bought from Amazon and my all in one wine pump to great success, but I am still getting some small sediment that the 1 micron filter isn't pulling out.

Has anyone ever tried THESE disposable filters, or do you have something similar that you have had good success with?

I can't justify paying hundreds of dollars for a reusable filter as I brew maybe a dozen times a year so chances are the reusable filters would be toast long before I hit the ROI point.

I am using the standard 2.5" wide 10" whole house filters for my normal filtration right now and would like to find something that will fit my housings.

It appears to be a good filter for the price - please let us know how they work ?

I have had some sediment coming through mine too and I realized that the top where the filter supposedly seals with the top was damaged and probably leaking.

OK, so I pulled the trigger today and ordered a pair of them, I am going to rack and filter my High Test Cyser (~23% ABV) and I'll take some pictures and let you guys know.

GreginND, I actually run 2 filters in series, the first is a 5 micron and the second is a 1 micron and the AIW pulls right through them without blinking an eye. The seals are good, and the filters do get pretty clogged up, if I'm making a heavily fruited mead or wine sometimes I need to change the 5 micron filter halfway through a carboy (my blueberry Melomel was like that) due to clogging with suspended particles.

That said, the pieces which are floating are VERY small, just a cloudiness not like any real sediment.

I personally would not run 2 filters in a row.
I think it might be alot of restriction

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Wine Making mobile app

OK, so I pulled the trigger today and ordered a pair of them, I am going to rack and filter my High Test Cyser (~23% ABV) and I'll take some pictures and let you guys know.

GreginND, I actually run 2 filters in series, the first is a 5 micron and the second is a 1 micron and the AIW pulls right through them without blinking an eye. The seals are good, and the filters do get pretty clogged up, if I'm making a heavily fruited mead or wine sometimes I need to change the 5 micron filter halfway through a carboy (my blueberry Melomel was like that) due to clogging with suspended particles.

That said, the pieces which are floating are VERY small, just a cloudiness not like any real sediment.

It sounds like you are trying to filter cloudy wine. Best practice is to let the wine clear as much as possible first before filtering. It is very rare that a wine doesn't clear on its own. You should only filter wine that already looks clear.

Please post results when you try it out, I am interested as well...

Good to know! After reading the description I saw that this filter will remove flavor and color from water. Anyone want to turn wine into water

Latest posts

Back