Can I forgo sorbate if a 0.5 micron filter is used for back sweetening?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
I'd like to use ZERO sorbate if it's economical.

From my understanding a 1 micron filter absolute rated filter will remove yeast. So it got me thinking that a 0.5 micron filter would be the way to go to not having to use sorbate. And even if sorbate was being used, since there would be little to no yeast after filtration, maybe I could go with 1/5 the amount of sorbate.. say 1/2tsp for a 5 gallon batch that had been pushed through a 0.5 micron nominal filter.

Thanks!

I'd like to use ZERO sorbate if it's economical.

From my understanding a 1 micron filter absolute rated filter will remove yeast. So it got me thinking that a 0.5 micron filter would be the way to go to not having to use sorbate. And even if sorbate was being used, since there would be little to no yeast after filtration, maybe I could go with 1/5 the amount of sorbate.. say 1/2tsp for a 5 gallon batch that had been pushed through a 0.5 micron nominal filter.

Thanks!

I did a sweetened strawberry wine with a .5 micron filter and no sorbate with no issues at all.

I did a Rhone blend (GSM) which had a stuck Grenache in it. I think the final blended residual sugar number was .6 brix. I kept the blend in the carboys for 4 months to make sure it was stable, which it was and stayed that way. No sorbate or filtering. Not saying that is what I’d recommend doing, but I was willing to take a chance with 6 cases.

Your plan sounds like a good one.

Last edited:
a 1 micron filter absolute rated filter will remove yeast. So it got me thinking that a 0.5 micron filter

Yeast range from 1-3microns so an absolute 0.5 micron membrane filter would theoretically prevent any yeast from getting into your wine.

The commercial standard filter is a membrane 0.45micron size done at bottling. Even then sorbate is frequently used because all it takes is one viable yeast cell.

However this assumes you have bubble tested the filter to ensure its integrity. And the sterile filtered wine is only as sterile as the container and equipment you use to filter it into.

pushed through a 0.5 micron nominal filter.

Key word "nominal" rather than absolute.

Latest posts

Back