Inert gas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure I understand the question. We don't "cook" anything in my wine making but do use argon gas (which I believe is in that can) for purging carboys' head space. I don't generally use it on bottles I've opened because they don't usually last more than a day or two. We tend to have the "corks are for quitters" attitude.;)

Not sure I understand the question. We don't "cook" anything in my wine making but do use argon gas (which I believe is in that can) for purging carboys' head space. I don't generally use it on bottles I've opened because they don't usually last more than a day or two. We tend to have the "corks are for quitters" attitude.;)
Thats for purging an opened bottle and re corking. Curious if anyone has tried it to purge bottles prior to CORKING

* some automatic bottling lines will add a drop of liquid nitrogen to the bottle then fill and cork in less than thirty seconds. A key is that liquid nitrogen expands and forces the existing oxygen out.
* flushing with some time until the cork is installed will permit mixing and is basically useless.
* a short flush without removing the oxygen first is roughly fifty percent useful, ,, gases dilute as 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, etc. Assume that mixing is instant for modeling.
* metal caps are 1000x lower oxygen leakage than natural cork closures. There are several grades of synthetic closure, some of which mimic cork and some approach a metal cap. If you try this do not use natural cork.
* some automatic fillers vacuum the ullage then inserting the cork in to the vacuum.
* If you have a system which controls all gas you could flush/ insert an inert gas. I am using a vacuum corking tool which could, but since vacuum removes the air why bother.
this article on how to make a Vacuum Wine Corker ! It was in April /May issue of Wine maker MagazineView attachment 53837

Do you think (even with the free SO2 gassing off into the ullage) there's a discernable difference between vacuum corking or not? I'm curious whether my palette would be able to tell the difference... May be time for an experiment - although by the time 4-5 years roll by, I may forget what the experiment was all about...

I think that it is important enough that large commercial operations do it in house.
I think that it is important enough that there are semis with liquid nitrogen capping lines that visit wineries to contract pack, an extra cost of goods.
I think that commercial bottling is one of the more risky operations since it can add over 5 mg per liter wine oxygen, ,,, AKA bottle shock.
I think that reduced compounds are like a wallet, once they are spent they (fruity aromatics) are gone.
I think if you only run reds there are natural polyphenols that act as oxygen scavengers and most reds are deficient on fruit any way.

@TurkeyHollow If you could taste it is a good question.

Back