In the NEWS!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
damn , do those people do that on purpose, do you think..
that was very good post wordy.

I thought at first it was going to be Miley, are Britney, are Lady Gaga.
They are always in the news either,drunk,drugged,naked..are just crazy

Quantity, not quality. this is the kind of stuff that makes Jerry Springer and Maury Povich rich!!!

damn , do those people do that on purpose, do you think..
that was very good post wordy.

I thought at first it was going to be Miley, are Britney, are Lady Gaga.
They are always in the news either,drunk,drugged,naked..are just crazy

I've been in the news business, James, and it is not done on purpose. It's usually the result of being under high pressure on a demanding deadline with people breathing down your neck to get the page done. Sometimes it's about a double meaning, where how you read it makes a difference.

I have the honor of having had one of my headline goofs make it on Letterman twice - 10 years apart from each other. The head was supposed to read "Plenty for tourists to do here." It actually read "Plenty for tourists do do here." That headline was proofread by 2 people, who both missed the typo.

Remember the plane that fell short of the runway out in California? Check out this spoof of the news folks. These names were actually provided by a worker (well, a student intern!) at the NTSB. How he kept from laughing while doing it, I don't know. But clearly the news people were so caught up in their "scoop" they just took the info and read it straight.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNiD-XhWx7Q[/ame]

Nice job, Jim, getting two pieces onto Letterman.

There was a lovely piece on NPR some months ago (It may have been a program called Radio Lab) that looked at the errors auto-correcting programs have created in news stories. For example, a local newspaper which restricted the use of certain words ("gay", for instance ) changed the recurring reference to a fellow in an obituary (I think it was) to "Mr Homosexual" - Very funny, but presumably not for the copy editor who missed the gaffe, or the fellow's family.

Nice job, Jim, getting two pieces onto Letterman.

Professionally it was not good to to make my paper a laughingstock. And yep, Dave mentioned the name of the paper. I'd already been chewed out about the head when it happened, then was on TV! Then it cropped up again 10 years later! I never was a Letterman fan, so I basically found out when I was told at work. Tough days, those. Took awhile to live it down.

Newspaper folks write hundreds of heads every month. Screw up on just one, and inside the biz you get clobbered because it reflects on the accuracy and credibility of the paper. But outside the biz, everybody laughs about it. And people wonder why I drink!

It's no different online. Fox just ran this headline online last week:

Cereal apologizers: MSNBC host sorry for offensive tweet about biracial family

:D Pass the Cheerios, please!

Professionally it was not good to to make my paper a laughingstock. And yep, Dave mentioned the name of the paper. I'd already been chewed out about the head when it happened, then was on TV! Then it cropped up again 10 years later! I never was a Letterman fan, so I basically found out when I was told at work. Tough days, those. Took awhile to live it down.

Newspaper folks write hundreds of heads every month. Screw up on just one, and inside the biz you get clobbered because it reflects on the accuracy and credibility of the paper. But outside the biz, everybody laughs about it. And people wonder why I drink!

It's no different online. Fox just ran this headline online last week:

Cereal apologizers: MSNBC host sorry for offensive tweet about biracial family

:D Pass the Cheerios, please!

Oops, I am sorry. I never realized that this was your own paper. Not as funny perhaps, but when the Manchester Guardian used to use hot type but rushed to get everything shipped across the UK from the north of England to compete with national dailies published in London's Fleet Street the paper was so famous for typos it was known by those who loved the paper as The Grauniad.(pronounced Groan-i -ad) To this day, Brits call the paper The Grauniad
(Spoiler: it was likely to misspell its own masthead in its rush to print)

Back