In Memoriam Michael Jackson

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwwino

Reaction score
I wanted to pay tribute to Michael Jackson,the Beer Hunter, whose work helped lead to the craft brewing movement in the US and the appreciation of Belgian beers in particular. He passed away on August 30. His last article was published on August 22, 2007 in All About Beer. Eerily, the article is entitled "Did I Cheat Mort Subite?" (Sudden Death). Here'sa link to his last article:

http://www.allaboutbeer.com/

and his obitunary from the NY Times:

<DIV =timestamp>September 3, 2007
<DIV =kicker>
<H1><NYT_LINE version="1.0" =" ">Michael Jackson, 65, Beer Critic and Author, Is Dead </NYT_LINE></H1><NYT_BYLINE version="1.0" =" ">
<DIV =byline>By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS</NYT_BYLINE><NYT_TEXT>
<DIV id=article>

LONDON, Sept. 2 (AP) — Michael Jackson, a leading beer critic who helped start a renaissance of interest in beer and breweries worldwide in the 1970s, was found dead on Thursday at his home in West London. He was 65.

The cause was a heart attack, said Paddy Gunningham, his partner. She said that despite having Parkinson’s disease he had continued writing and traveling, and that he had planned to write a book about the disease.

Mr. Jackson especially loved Belgian brews, which his books “The Great Beers of Belgium” and “The World Guide to Beer” introduced to many export markets, including the United States.

By identifying beers by their flavors and styles, and by pairing them with particular foods and dishes, he also gave impetus to the North American microbrewery movement.

His television documentary series, “The Beer Hunter,” a title that popularized his nickname, was filmed around the world and shown in 15 countries.

Mr. Jackson was a beer critic for more than 30 years, writing in newspapers and gastronomic magazines, holding seminars, giving speeches and appearing on talk shows. His many books about beer and whiskeys were published in 18 languages.

He is survived by Ms. Gunningham; a stepdaughter, Sam Hopkins; a sister, Heather Campbell; and two grandchildren.

On his Web site, Mr. Jackson acknowledged that his familiar name often led to confusion. “Hello, my name is Michael Jackson,” it said last week. “No, not that Michael Jackson, but I am on a world tour. My tour is in pursuit of exceptional beer. That’s why they call me the Beer Hunter.”<NYT_UPDATE_BOTTOM></NYT_UPDATE_BOTTOM></NYT_TEXT>

Back