Mosti Mondiale Impressions Barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocky, its just a display model!! If it were real it would make about 1/16th of a shot!! LOL I always ferment to dry Greg. and I hope to gain even more body. I dont think there will be a down side as the yeast is plent capable of tolerating that little bit more sugar and yet there isnt eough raisins IMO to change a flavor profile. I dont check the sg much while its in primary, just punch it down and seal her back up. It looking like a nice cake right now where it really builds a nice cap. It reminds me of a chocoalte cake that almost done in the oven.

Just received my Impressions Barolo from George. Unfortunately, my Primary bucket is being occupied by a Mist kit I just started yesterday. Damn!!! I guess I'll have to go out to get another primary. ;);) :i:i See ya!!! :p

You people are terrible influences BTW!:sm

My Barolo kit arrived this morning as well. I do have an empty primary so the journey begins this evening.:h

Just received my Impressions Barolo from George. Unfortunately, my Primary bucket is being occupied by a Mist kit I just started yesterday. Damn!!! I guess I'll have to go out to get another primary. ;);) :i:i See ya!!! :p

If you are going to get a new fermenter, consider getting a 10 gallon, if you don't already have one. This kit will fit in the standard fermenter, but it's gunna be pretty full, especially if it comes with both a grape pack and raisins and you intend to use both.

People talk about carboys multiplying; my fermenters have been at it, too. I think I have 6 fermenters, now. :slp

I have (8) 20G Brutes, and 2 of the kit sized regular primaries......

I suppose I have 10 primaries but I like to think I only have 2 and 8 extra trash cans lying around.......

The "hobby" just seems more in control that way! :)

I do have a 10 gallon fermenter, but I'm probably going to need that to degas my mist kit (after I add the 1.4L finishing blend) that is now in a Primary.
As for the Barolo, I'm probably just going to add the grape pack and not the raisins (unless someone can talk me out of it).
FWIW, I believe Wade put both packs in a standard Primary without incident (or none that he's talking about). LOL

As for the Barolo, I'm probably just going to add the grape pack and not the raisins (unless someone can talk me out of it).
FWIW, I believe Wade put both packs in a standard Primary without incident (or none that he's talking about). LOL

Just my opinion, as I have made a Barolo, I would use just the grape pack. I just don't like the raisin taste very well. I just started drinking my two year old Amarone made with raisins and I have found I just don't like that raisin taste (or the Amarone I made :slp).

(That Amarone is amazing, I can drink a glass, then close up the bottle and wait a day for the next glass. I did this 4 days in a row and the wine was actually better on the fourth day!!! It just kept getting smoother and smoother. Normally, even with a vacuum stopper, by the end of the second day a bottle of wine is not very good anymore. Not so with this the Amarone!)

I read Wade's post, If I remember, it fit, but the fermenter sounded very full. It should work for you, though. I like the fact the standard fermenter lid can snap down, because the ten-gallon doesn't. Having a lid that snaps down is great when you want to do secondary in the same fermenter as the primary, which I often do.

Good luck with that Barolo. I really do like mine, but it is still less than a year old, now, so I have only stolen a few tastes from the carboy.

So, do you let your grapes and/or raisins swim free or do you contain them in a bag?

I let the roam free this time only because I wasnt thinkoinhg! Ive done it both ways and I recommend the mesh bag for this. Its small enough even with using botrh raisin and grape pack that youll get plenty of exposure to the fruit and make it much easier to remove later!!!!!!

Greg, it's much harder to rack, when all those raisins and grapes are free, because the racking cane keeps getting stopped up. You can scoop them out before you rack or wrap the bottom of the racking cane with something to keep the pieces out of the cane.

I started this up before I saw Wade and Robie's respones using the free range grape skin method. They'll be happier! All I can say is WOW, that's a lot solids floating around in there. I added the grape pack and the raisins. First time I've added raisins. It's amazing how much the raisins plump up. They are the size of grapes now. Kinda makes sense.

Will definitily go the bag route next time.

Last edited:
Jordan, another reason I like to use a bag is that I can easily give the skins/raisins a good squeeze a few time a day to extract more of the "goodies" from them. That is much harder to do with the fruit floating in the wine.

Greg, I made the same kit 3 + weeks ago & free floated skins & raisins. I had to pour the primary thru a straining bag into another primary, then squeeze the heck out of the bag. No matter how I tried to rack the primary it wouldn't! So I just poured it into a straining bag. Next time it will ALL be in a BAG. Roy

Yeah, especially if you use both grape and raisins you will have the hardest time trying rack to carboy!! I have never had as many problems with free floating them as this kit!

Top up????

I finally started my MM Impressions Barolo. After I put the juice into the primary and added the grape pack, I still only have about 5 1/3 gallons of must. After I rack it and squeeze the grape skins, I know I'll have even less. I couldn't find anything in the instructions about topping it up with water at the very beginning. What did you guys do? Thanks!!

Thats only a 18L kit (plus 2L grape pack I think). You should have added ~5L of water. Can you pull the grape pack out and check the volume?

Actually, it's a 16L kit plus the grape pack. I haven't taken the SG yet (nor have I pitched the yeast). I believe this is to be a high ABV kit so I expect the SG to be relatively high. I'm not sure why they haven't said to add enough water to bring it to the 6 gallon level.

Just remember the grape packs are always added on top after you have brought the volume up to 23L mark and you will always be good to go.

Yeah, Mike I know. But there was no mention of adding water at all. I just took the SG. It came in at 1.118 which, if it finishes at .996, will give me an ABV of 16.2%. Is that where a Barolo should be? If it is, I can't add any water.

Latest posts

Back