Mosti Mondiale Impressions Barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would you suggest free floating the oak in the primary or bag it as well?

You need to add the water. Wade can tell you what his starting SG was later today or tonight. You can always call George and see how much water to add exactly.

Thanks for the input, Mike.

UBB I'm going to free float the oak chips but not until I transfer it to the secondary.

Since the kit was upgraded with the allgrape pack to make the Impressions Barolo, it included the old instructions and another instruction sheet that included the allgrape pack addition. The original instructions did call for the addition of water whereas the allgrape instructions did not.
I talked with Brian at FVW. He said to add the water. I asked him if he knew the instructions for the Allgrape pack didn't call for the addition of water---he did not. He said he would have George notify Mosti about the printing error. Problem solved!

Last edited:
My starting sg was 1.106 approx I free floated everything and that was a huge mistake! I dont think the oak will be much of a problem though.

I'm free floating the oak but the grape pack and raisins are in a bag. The bucket is F-U-L-L FULL!:D

My starting sg was 1.106 approx I free floated everything and that was a huge mistake! I dont think the oak will be much of a problem though.

Wade, with a starting SG that high you must not have added much water--right?? Or was that before you added water?

In my Impressions Castel del Papa kit, I had 2 set of instructions. One set was for a normal Renaissance (no grape pack) in which you add water for a 16 l kit. The other set of instructions was for the All Juice, Masters and Meglioli kits that have a grape pack (no water added). I treated the kit as a regular Renaissance with a grape pack. I brought the 16 l of juice to 23 l and then added the grape pack. The initial SG was 1.102 @ 60 F. I believe that Wade did the same (It's Official thread) and achieved the same SG with his Impressions Barolo.

Yep, you always want to add the water to make a total must of 23 liters BEFORE you add any grape pack or oak.

If it were me, I would not free float any of the grape pack, oak, or raisins. Just use a large, 5-galon paint bag so everything can be less compacted. It sure makes racking a lot easier when nothing is free floating.

My Barolo seems poised to do it's best impression of Old Faithful! I took the lid completely off today (had it just sitting not snapped down) and covered the bucket with some Press 'N' Seal with a bunch of holes poked in. It's still bubbling over the edge but I don't have a plastic tote big enough for the primary.

Any suggestions?

Just pull like 1/2 a gallon out and out that in a 1 gallon jug and let it ferment separately until it slows down. Ive had to do this many times with fruit wines I was making. Ive never had this problem yet with a kit though and Im usually fermenting at the higher end of the temp with grape skin kits and with both style fermenting buckets. The shorter squat ones and the taller thin ones and Iv e never had 1 flow over yet. The wine gods must be smiling when Im fermenting.

will do, thanks.

pic. of said potential geyser!
Resampled_2012-01-13_16-31-26_303.jpg

Mine is just fizzing nicely. I free floated the grape pack (may regret it later) so it keeps any possible volcanic reaction at bay. I can hear it but can't see any foam.
Have you thought about temporarily putting some into another vessel? Just how big is your primary fermenter? Curious. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back