Im making an apple cider wine and im not sure what my ph should be

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok good I'm at 3.6. If my ph tester is right. Can I correct it after its done fermenting or am I stuck with what I have now that the yeast is in. Thanks for the advice. I know enough to be dangerous that's about it.

Ok good I'm at 3.6. If my ph tester is right. Can I correct it after its done fermenting or am I stuck with what I have now that the yeast is in. Thanks for the advice. I know enough to be dangerous that's about it.

If you want to correct it better do it now with acid blend or malic acid.
3.6 is within an acceptable range and adjusting can be tricky, easy to overshoot. Then you are in real trouble.

Your taste buds can help you out here right now as well... does it taste sharp at all or just sweet?

I think it will be ok. No harshness to it. This is my 1st apple wine and only my 3 rd batch of wine ever lol. So I'm nervous. I have 100 lbs of Seckel pairs that I'm going to press and start on Thursday. Just kinda flying by the seat of my pants. I really appreciate the tips. I think I read that the acid levels should be the same in the pear as the apple.

So the lower the number the more bite? Is that the deal?

yah as the PH goes down the acid generally goes up.

I just got 50 lb apples and my buddy has a bunch of pears... I think we are going to do a cider/perry cross and split it!

Im going to be following this thread. Its that time of the year. Fresh cider will be coming out all over the place around here. I know a farmer who makes the best!!

I used 6 gal cider 6 pounds sugar to get 1.085. I added half a pound of raisins and 4 cinnamon sticks. I'm using a champagne yeast

Correct more bite, with apple cider in my opinion it should be treated like white wine in regards to ph. Remember....The higher the ph (3.5 - 4)
the more sulfite you will need to use in order to protect it, from spoilage organisms. Ph does affect flavors and aroma

I will also be following this post. I just purchased ~40lbs of apples while on vacation in Rocky Mt. VA this past weekend. We stumbled upon a nice winery that served some Apple wine and I got the itch to make some myself. I plan to freeze mine first then press and ferment. I have successfully made Asian pear wine before but cooked them first then strained after primary.

Ha... I just noticed now that your title read 'apple cider WINE'
(in Canada the term 'Cider' automatically means an alcoholic apple beverage)
I assumed you were making Hard Cider.
The same principles should apply though for Hard Cider or apple wine

Ya here in pa I think the cider means its not filtered or preserved. They just press the apples and then run them through a UV light. Lol. The cider has a way different taste then the regular apple juice. I'm kinda nervous about the pear wine. That starts tomorrow.

LoveTheWine said:
yah as the PH goes down the acid generally goes up.

I just got 50 lb apples and my buddy has a bunch of pears... I think we are going to do a cider/perry cross and split it!

I'm thinking I might need to end making a blend my self depending on how much pear juice I end up with. I wonder what it would taste like with peach or mango? Lol.

I like to add crab apples to my apple wine to bring the acid up. I also start out with unpasteurized apple cider. The is no comparison to just apple juice.

I like to add crab apples to my apple wine to bring the acid up. I also start out with unpasteurized apple cider. The is no comparison to just apple juice.

Dan, Let me know when the apple cider is available, last year I bought at Fuhrman's and you told me you had a better source. I would like to do 15 to 20 gallons this fall.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back