I'm in my 9th month....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashy

Reaction score
....of wine-making!

Why, it seems like only yesterday I was pitching yeast in that first bucket of zinfandel juice.....

I should probably have more than four batches by now. I think I need to drink more.....

Dont worry, that was just the starting phase! Now is where it picks up!
smiley2.gif

Your 9th month...Gee...I thought you were having a baby.

You better get busy...that wine is ready to drink...make more to replace it.

Northern Winos said:
Your 9th month...Gee...I thought you were having a baby.

You better get busy...that wine is ready to drink...make more to replace it.

That batch is almost gone...

Come on trash get with the program. I am at 6 months and am on 15 batch. I am not home as much over the last few weeks so things are alittle behind. I have 6 in carboys waiting to be bottled (Also called bulk aging when you don't have time to bottle) Anyway Trashy sure is a great hobby.

Grant

My problem is lack of a basement. SWMBO has allocated very little space for winemaking, and I can only do one at a time. Add to that the fact that this is only one of many hobbies, all of which are excellent at sucking money out of the budget, and I find myself limited by time, space, and money.

Ah, to win the lottery!! Neither SWMBO nor I would quit our jobs, but I would build a house with room for everything. A true wine cellar (and I wouldn't care what it cost to keep from flooding), a great woodshop - with A/C, a room for a model railroad (the ficticious Virginia & East Tennessee Railway, circa 1950, on the real right-of-way owned by the N&W from the main line near Bluefield, VA to Bristol, TN [Northern Division] and that owned by the Southern Rwy from Bristol down to Knoxville, TN [Southern Division]).

And where would I find the time for all of this? By doing all of the other time eaters - cutting the grass, mulching the beds, painting a room that SWMBO decided should be a different color, etc. - with a checkbook.

Therein lies the secret of winning the lottery and not ending up miserable a year later. (I am thinking of the guy who won $300+ million a couple of years ago. Now he's divorced from his wife of 20+ years, alone, and friendless. He has everything he ever dreamed about having - except friends and family.) If you hate your job, quit and go to work doing something you love, even if it only pays $6/hr. You don't need the money. And above all, make sure that some of your dreams involve something you can't buy.

Sure, I could buy all the top-end kits from George, including the annual selections, and I would, but it would still be up to me to make it into great wine. Yes, I could have a woodshop to die for, and all the quality hardwood I wanted, but it would still be up to me to make it into a beautiful piece of furniture. And yes, I could build the space and buy all the locomotives and rolling stock for the V&ET, but it would be up to me (and the club members I would invite to help) to make it into something that Model Railroader magazine wanted to feature.

If all of your dreams involve something you can buy do not buy lottery tickets. If you win, all your dreams will come true in a month, and then you will have nothing left to live for.

I'm not sure what brought that out. I will say no more.

Money sure isnt everything but it sure helps to have have enough. I
wish I could quit my job and do what I like which at this point would
be to own a LHBS and be as successful as George. But I need a steady
flow of good money coming in as my kids are young and hopefully will go
to college. It would be real nice if it turned out like Georges
daughtet and got a free ride but I dont see that happening as of yet!
So the lottery is still my escape. I would move into a better house,
not bigger just better. One where I come home and dont have to
contimplate over which project is more important.

Wade, your on the same thought process as I. Although money can't buy everything, it can certainly put an ease to those things that hurt. Would I quit my job?........... In a heart beat! But that doesn't mean I'd do nothing. I would always stay busy doing something, but in a different direction from where I am now. Helping people would be a top priority, teaching people how to help others. My wife and I always talk about how nice it would be to take a small coommunity of people and offer assistance that would Benifit all, like free higher education for those who may not graduate high school.

Your a damn good guy Jobe, I dont care what the rest of the people on this forum say!!!!
smiley36.gif

Back