Im hung up on trying to learn about bentonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Scotty took one look at that article closed it immediately.
As interesting as it may have been I didn't want to spend the time to
read 8 pages on fining agents and the like.

Maybe when I'm suffering from insomnia.

wolfman said:
Sorry Scotty took one look at that article closed it immediately. As interesting as it may have been I didn't want to spend the time to read 8 pages on fining agents and the like.

Maybe when I'm suffering from insomnia.

Im doing it in pieces myself. I have a list of terms that i need to look up and a bunch of symbols to try and learn.

I found a word somewhere that describes a type of bentonite that is suposed to leave firm lees. Im still looking.

Scotty,

I too have wondered about this. I was actually looking for a difference between 'Sparkloid' and 'bentonite'. I found this site To be somewhat helpfull. Though it is not as detailed as what you listed.

My only problem with Bentonite is that it takes so long to get ready (even with blending). And from what I gather from reading the technical stuff, if you don't give it a day to 'prepare' you are not getting the benefit as much as you think (since it doesn't have time to re-hydrate and increase the surface area)

I am finding it takes long to work but in an experiment i am finding it is an excellent product and gives excellent results. Ill be trying the blender method soon.

But i suspect that we both shal learn that the modern methods are excellent also. I see lots of folks using them.

I use bentonite in my koi pond to clear the water........ I guess the 5lbs that I bought will come in usefull!......lol

I found that although the bentonote did an excellent job of clarifying, it seemed to take too much out of the already simple white grape peach/welches.

im using at 1/2 the recomended rate on this next batch of grape / frozen concentrate also. We are making a raspberry and an aprocot from vintners harvest 96 ounce cans and they both are being left to clarify without any additives. 3 month i suspect.

I have had Raspberry in bulk aging for about 4 months and really isnt clearing on its own. I think it will be SuperKleer to the rescue!

wade said:
I have had Raspberry in bulk aging for about 4 months and really isnt clearing on its own. I think it will be SuperKleer to the rescue!

OK Wade--ill try that instead if mine doesnt clear on its own
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back