How to clear my 'wine', without adding anything?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some older wine making books, always fun to read. The general procedure is to continue to rack every couple months until there's no sediment and then bottle. Depending on what you want, it's 2 1/2 lbs or 3 lbs of sugar. I guess the sugar content of fruit didn't matter.
Without a way to measure, recipes were formulated as people recorded what worked.

There seems to be a persistent idea that you can make wine without chemicals or any real knowledge of chemistry "The way it has been done for centuries."
Unfortunately that is best answered Yes & No. The winemakers in days less than a 100 years ago did not use Chemicals or know anything about chemistry, HOWEVER,the successful ones were taught by people with knowledge and experience. If you take time to investigate they had at least a limited understanding of chemistry and biology even if it was not taught or learned using those terms. The school of hard knocks, and trial and error taught them along with other older winemakers. They taught them basics steps, along an understanding of what to use to make good wine. They didn't collect grapes or fruit and toss it in and let it go. With wine made from fruit other than grapes you have to know the makeup of the fruit you are using. Not taking time to learn will often lead to much less than pleasing results. Cloudy wine, low alcohol wine and other less pleasing results are going to happen. Just spending day or two reading good guides and basic wine making chemistry will dramactically increase the likelihood that 6 to 12 months down the roads you will be happy when get the first taste of your wine. If you aren't prepared to wait that long for a good wine, you probably are goinb to be haapy in the long run. There are some quick drink options but they don't begin to compare to proprly aged wine.

Latest posts

Back