I'm hoping I didn't mess up a kit.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoiledRotten

Reaction score
I bought a Blueberry Shiraz kit a few months ago. I made it by the instructions, saving the blueberry flavor pack for last. Well, the alcohol was very low and the blueberry flavor was, to me, too strong. I like a hint of the taste of the fruit I'm using. So, I bought another kit, Blueberry Bliss. I figured that if I mixed the two packs up front, I'd get higher alcohol and a little fainter blueberry taste. After mixing the two, before storing the instructions, I saw that the flavor pack has pot. sorbate in it. Have I mess up? Do you think it will have too much sorbate in the flavor pack to keep the yeast from working?

I think you should have let the second kit ferment fully before you mix the two. Potassium sorbate works by preventing yeast cells from reproducing. If you bomb the wine with two or more yeast packets, then you'll definitely get some fermentation. I don't think all is lost yet. I'd add a bit more yeast every two weeks until fermentation is finished. If the fermentation gets stuck, then it'll probably be for a reason other than potassium sorbate.

I bought a Blueberry Shiraz kit a few months ago. I made it by the instructions, saving the blueberry flavor pack for last. Well, the alcohol was very low and the blueberry flavor was, to me, too strong. I like a hint of the taste of the fruit I'm using. So, I bought another kit, Blueberry Bliss. I figured that if I mixed the two packs up front, I'd get higher alcohol and a little fainter blueberry taste. After mixing the two, before storing the instructions, I saw that the flavor pack has pot. sorbate in it. Have I mess up? Do you think it will have too much sorbate in the flavor pack to keep the yeast from working?
You'll probably be OK. The amount of sorbate in the flavour pack is usually just enough to keep the pack from fermenting, but not enough to stop a full batch from fermenting.

BTW, when mentioning kits it's a good idea to mention the full name, eg Orchard Breezin' Blackberry Merlot. Sometimes you'll get better answers.

Steve

Last edited:
If it's convenient you could also add some yeast nutrient and then aerate VERY well, but definitely aerate. This doesn't do anything to counteract the sorbate, it just gives the yeast its best chance of multiplying.

Thanks Steve. I'll do that. It's reassuring for you to say that there's not enough to keep the full kit from fermenting. This kit is the RJ Spagnols, Cru Orchard Breezin' Mist.

And botigol, I did add yeast nutrient as soon as I realized that the flavor pack had the pot sorb in it. I just checked it and it looks like there was some light foaming on top, so I believe I'll be OK. Just got scared when I saw the pot sorbate in the ingredients of the flavor pak.

I probably should have let the fermentation get started good in the primary, then add the flavor pak slowly during fermentation. That would have most likely done the job without worry of set backs.

The SG of this kit is supposed to be 1.060 at the beginning and when the flavor pak is added at the end, the ABV is so diluted that it's like drinking juice from the fridge. When I added the flavor pak, the SG went to 1.090. When done, that should be a very good mixture of alcohol and light, but distinct blueberry flavor.

Last edited:
The Blueberry is going great! It's down to 1.040 and fermenting like crazy. I was so relieved to see that I had not messed up the kit. It smells wonderful, too, while in the primary.

Back