Ideas on a Homemade Bottle Drying Rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arh13p

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas for making a bottle drying rack? I want to make one and am looking for suggestions. Thanks.

I saw a revolving PVC pipe which had been anchored to bases from floor to ceiling; they felt it was more stable than a free standing tree. The tree was actually in three or four pieces that were screwed together, so it could be unassembled and moved. It had small diameter PVC pipes which were the limbs of the tree placed at proper increments. They said they just modeled it after a traditional, commercial tree. I did not look to see how the 'limbs' were anchored.

I've seen someone post that they were using one of those plastic bread trays. You know the ones that are like milk crates with all the X's across the bottom? Seems you flip it over and just start putting bottles in the holes. Sounds good to me. I picked up one of the bottle driers online for $16 shipping included from homebrewit but I think that sale is over now.

The little birdie in me (cheap, cheap, cheap) says the best way is to get your local wine shop to save cartons for you with the grids still inside. Get your bottles clean, then just replace them in the cartons upside down. Even by getting slightly wet, the cartons last a long time.

Can't make the little birdie happier than when it is FREE!

If you make one, make sure the base is big enough to support the bottles and the "trunk" is sturdy enough to support the weight....
By the time you factor in your time and supplies necessary to make it, the $26 or so dollars that it will cost to buy a bottle tree might be cheaper....I would buy one that has been designed for the specific purpose.

Here is something that I kludged together from scrap lumber and dowels. It works fine for me and holds up to 26 bottles and/or a variety of other items. I have it attached to the table top with screws so there is no danger of tipping. The second picture is my back up.

100_0464.jpg

100_0465.jpg

Rocky said:
Here is something that I kludged together from scrap lumber and dowels. It works fine for me and holds up to 26 bottles and/or a variety of other items. I have it attached to the table top with screws so there is no danger of tipping. The second picture is my back up.

Now is it safe and san to use wood?since woo absorbs liquid?

Up until I bought the cheaper bottle tree, I used plastic storage bins, leaned up against something, like a 4x4 and set the bottles neck down against the sides or end.

Buy the rack. I spent a saturday making one from pvc, worked ok. I then bought the tree so I could have the sanitizer pump on top. Works better than the homemade one for about the same cost.

I agree with buying one, they are not bad in price unless if you have to order it and pay shipping. I own four of them (two large and two small) and use them all when bottling.

Yea, I think I am going to go to the local shop and buy one. I was not sure on using wood dowels for sanitation purposes. Thanks for the all the responses!

Somewhere on here there is a pic. of a piece of plywood with holes drilled in it with a hole saw. Place across a couple of sawhorses and you are done. That said, I just use a commericial rack. Arne.

I just use the box they came in. I put a towel on the bottom. Put the cardboard separator back in, wash/sulphide the bottles and put them back in the box upside down.

Yep. By the next day their bone dry. Then I just flip them back over and close the box. Clean, dry bottles ready to be sulphited.
Though having a wine drying tree is better if you don't have a box with the cardboard separator. And the tree works well for pre bottling with sulphide.

Im always trying to save $$... I used wooden crates that they ship grapes in and drilled a bunch of holes on the bottom.

Thanks to the advice of Steve & others here, I bought and received the 25 bottle rack. It was $27 delivered on the Bay. I look forward to using it not only for drying bottles but also for holding bottles while I am filling them with my new AIO pump. Getting it sanitized will be easier than the two step washing & sanitizing I now do with the bottle tree. And spilled bottles after they are filled will be less likely too.

NS

Back