WineXpert Icewine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brubakes

Junior
Reaction score
Could someone explain exactly what Icewine is?
What are its characteristics? Are there any special considerations that
need to be taken when making it from a kit?</span>

A true Ice Wine is made from a varietal of grapes that are not harvested until after a freeze. It is a very sweet wine and the rage right now. The kits are not true Ice Wine but "Ice Wine Like"
I have not made one but I think the only consideration would be to not let too many people know you have it
smiley36.gif

They squeeze the grapes while they are still frozen. The water in the grapes are frozen into ice crystals and they get a more concentrated juice, hence the higher price. I got to sample a bottle and I was sold. We have a kit in process right now!
smiley4.gif

OK PWP.....I know you don't care for sweet wines so you can ship that Ice Wine on down here
smiley17.gif

brubakes said:
Could someone explain exactly what Icewine is? What are its characteristics? Are there any special considerations that need to be taken when making it from a kit?
We have friends in Kelowna, B.C. and Kelowna has the BEST icewine available. Look at this site: http://www.travelkelowna.com/wineries.html
My husband brought home a small bottle of it ($85.00) and it was immediately consumed! Talk about good, WOW. It is sweet - but very much worth the money.

Back