I was asked a questing I didn't know how to answer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet today. I plan on checking when I stir for the day, but that is not for another 8 or so hours.

I was a work before, that's why I said 8 hours, but they let me off work early and I was able checked the must the SG dropped from 1.1 to 1.085 so its going strong. the temp s steady at about 75-80. I have it in the warmest room in the house the rest of the house is around is kind a random ranging from 55-65 (big house)

But I am glad to say that even know all is well now I did learn something from the experience, And that is just as important to me as making successful batch. And what i learned will help me in the future. so in a way I am glad I had the scare. and Luckily it wasn't a waste.

Awesome, once its going well it will generate its own heat and can raise the temp of your wine by 10 deg so watch that it doesnt get to warm now! Then once it starts slowing down keep it around 74* deg as once its done you will want to degas it and that should be done at a temp of 74-75 deg to efficiently get all the gas out.

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed that the must was warmer then the room temp. the room is about 72 but the must is about 78-80, but it is going strong. And like I said its got to have the experience. like the corny phrase goes "knowledge is power"

It even smells better. the must where starting to smell like it was thinking about rotting kinda bad, but now it just smells like good ol' fermenting wine.

You should probably move this to a slightly cooler place for awhile now, High temps can stress the yeast and make the yeast give off off flavors and smells like H2S which is sulfur, at this point I would move to a room where the temp is around 66 deg.

Glad it started to work for you Con, my first two batches took a while to get going and I was indeed biting my finger nails. On the next batch I may consider a yeast "starter" that has been suggested by a couple people in this forumn.

You should probably move this to a slightly cooler place for awhile now, High temps can stress the yeast and make the yeast give off off flavors and smells like H2S which is sulfur, at this point I would move to a room where the temp is around 66 deg.

I was one step ahead of you. well kinda lol. I still had it in the bathroom (which was the warm room) sitting in the empty tub, and had to move it to give my little girl a bath. So I moved to a cooler room, one that is also out of reach of my little one. Its just about that temp.

little girls are angels its the boys that you have to waych out for!!!!!!! I have 1 of each, the girl is 10 now and the boy is 5. With the girl i never needed cabinet locks or anything like that, with the boy the cabimet locks arent even enough as he figured them out after about 3 weeks at the rip ole age of around 2 1/2! I love him but he is a handful!

Con, bathtub? Wait till you be come obsessed and have 15 or 20 batches going at once like some of the friends in here? You may have to build a new bathroom or an addition to your house. And whats the wife gonna say when you try to explain that you need to dig up the backyard to make a wine cellar?(smile, hee hee)
Troy

Lol Last night I had it in the bathtub to warm the must, I just left there because it was early in the morning when it was going, and 5 gallons sucks to move when you want to go to bed lol. I have a big walk in closet that I am going to turn into my "wine room" I already have a game room with my Computer/video games/music equipment in. Wat I need is to get a couple carboys and a couple more Primary vessels, but moneys tight at the moment. But when we do, the wine will flow lol.

Back