I waited..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmcirig

Reaction score
I meant to do the stabilising the day after I asked if my SG was too low. Unfortunatley, tragedy struck and my future mother in-law had a stroke. I've been at the hospital every night after work, with very little time to do anything else.

So I left the wine. I didn't get around to degassing it until last night. It was still at the same SG as it was 6 days ago when I should have done the degassing
smiley18.gif

Was this a big deal? What kind of effect do you think this might of had on the wine?

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Hope she gets better soon.

It won't hurt your wine at all having to wait a few days. Just follow the directions for the rest of it's progress and it will be fine. Actually leaving it for a while helps the gas to come out of suspension easier. If you aren't in a rush to bottle, it is possible to just rack occasionally and the CO2 will dissipate pretty much on it's own. Of course if it is over a period of months, you might need to add more K-Meta.Edited by: appleman

Thanks- we hope so too.

Okay thanks. Well the instructions say to wait 8 days to clearand then rack.

So what you're saying is I could rack in the 8 days, and then rack again in a couple months? (like what 2?) I'm not in a rush- I'd like the wine to be good
smiley4.gif
Otherwise what's the point, right?

2 or 3 months is a good time to re rack, add 1/4 tsp of meta at 3 months.

The instructions with the kit are designed to let you bottle when they say you can bottle (28 days, 40 days, whatever, depending on the kit). More time almost never is a problem. I racked my MM amarone out of the secondary two weeks ago and still haven't degassed fully and added the fining agents. I did sulfite and stabilize. Since I probably won't bottle this until late in the year or early next year I'm in no rush.

I'm liking this hobby more and more every day
smiley4.gif
It even works on my time schedule!! Thanks everyone!

I wonder if they have a "Home wine making for dummies"
smiley9.gif

This forum is better than Home Wine Making For Dummies. You don't have to know where in the book to look for your answers, and you can get reassurance and experience here that no book can offer. We've all made some wonderful mistakes and life has moved forward. So have our wines!
smiley2.gif
You aren't a dummy, you're just in a learning process as are the rest of us.

Latest posts

Back