I think i screwed up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksjp2008

Junior
Reaction score
I ran 120 lbs of grapes through my juicer, I added to skins back to the juice.

i used 1/2 tsp of Metabisulphite to the must. After 20 hrs i added 2 packets of RC 212. i aded this like i normally do with kits. by that i mean i just sprinkled it on top. after which i saw that i should have rehydrated it.

Have i screwed this up? If so, what do I do next.. Id really hate to lose these grapes.

you haven't screwehed it up, sprinkling it on top will work just as well. Most people like to rehydrate because the yeast will start to work faster.

So i just got home and don't see much activity in the must.. is this normal?

I have always used primary fermenters with the kits. for this i am using a big tub with a lid. no airlock as the lid isn't air tight

yes, give it a stir a couple times a day. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for fermentation to really kick off

That's a good idea to juice and add the skins afterwards for the ferment!

I would put a towel or clean piece of cloth over the fermenter, under the lid. Helps keep your unwanted critters and such out. This is a great fruit fly time and helps keep them out. Arne.

Aww, what's wrong with a little added protein to your wine? Fruit flies make a great flavor enhancer!
Seriously though, nothing wrong with sprinkling the yeast. If winemaking was that 'delicate', there would be very few of us indeed.
I generally leave my primary buckets entirely open, once in a while I will see a fruit fly, not more than two though. Since they are all made in a spare bathroom, no issue of pets or other critters getting into it. Making wine from fresh grapes seems to attract them much more than kits do.

Aww, what's wrong with a little added protein to your wine? Fruit flies make a great flavor enhancer!
Seriously though, nothing wrong with sprinkling the yeast. If winemaking was that 'delicate', there would be very few of us indeed.
I generally leave my primary buckets entirely open, once in a while I will see a fruit fly, not more than two though. Since they are all made in a spare bathroom, no issue of pets or other critters getting into it. Making wine from fresh grapes seems to attract them much more than kits do.

LOL, Bart. I have had them in mine, but would just as well keep them out. Had most of the tomatoes out of the house for a couple of weeks and the fruit flys have just about disappeared. Started some apple wine last night, that will probably draw them down to the basement. Have a trap and a couple of fly strips, that gets rid of em. Arne.

Okay, great advice here. I also think I've screwed up. The store I bought my first kit from told me to add malolactic bacteria at racking. Should I have done this? Also how did I know when to bottle? Any help recommended. I used fresh juice, 5 gal, Pinot Noir. Also did not measure potential alchohol. Didn't know to, I racked at 1.01?????

Okay, great advice here. I also think I've screwed up. The store I bought my first kit from told me to add malolactic bacteria at racking. Should I have done this? Also how did I know when to bottle? Any help recommended. I used fresh juice, 5 gal, Pinot Noir. Also did not measure potential alchohol. Didn't know to, I racked at 1.01?????

If you bought a kit, it should have instructions. Follow them, not your store. Racking at 1.01 is ok.

Its not a kit. Iv never added malolactic bacteria to anything yet. Someone who knows more about it then me will come along and answer this one

Thanks all. It was not a kit, just juice. I posted a thread on the subject and apparently I need to be a chemist. I should have started from a kit. But I'm determined to figure out when to see that MLF is done. The rest seems straight forward. Rack-PS/MBS&Rack-Filter-Bottle. If anyone else jumps in I'm all ears and can reward with a bottle of virgin Pinot Noir. (If you're brave enough.)

Back