WineXpert I need some more advice/ opinions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
for my sangeovese kit.
I racked it from the glass carboy under lock((the secondary fermenter))to another glass carboy under lock. This is to be the bulk aging stage.
That was about 2 weeks ago.
I had waited a week longer than the kit recomended because the bentonite sedement seemed to still be falling to the bottom.

Now after another prox 2 weeks that i considered part of the 3 month bulk aging before bottling, I see quite a bit of bentonite sedement forming again.
I intend to wait a couple of weeks more and rack again. Why I don't really know.
OR Should i just let it bulk age for the 3 months and then rack just before bottling???

This is a fun hobby. No pressure to rush before the glue drys or get off the starting light exactly when the green light falls on the tree.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: scotty

I would leave it alone for the 3 months then rack carefully before bottling.

Scotty:

I often bulk age my wine for 5-6 months. I usually rack twice during this time. The first racking will be after 2-4 months to taste and either take it off the oak or change the oak. Then I rack again at least 3 weeks prior to bottling. I taste at each step, of course. And I find there is always some sediment at each racking. By the time I bottle, I usually only have a dusting of sediment that the racking cane won't disturb.

maize said:
Scotty:

I often bulk age my wine for 5-6 months. I usually rack twice during this time. The first racking will be after 2-4 months to taste and either take it off the oak or change the oak. Then I rack again at least 3 weeks prior to bottling. I taste at each step, of course. And I find there is always some sediment at each racking. By the time I bottle, I usually only have a dusting of sediment that the racking cane won't disturb.
Thats good to know.
smiley1.gif

This batch is earmarked for christmas gifts though.
I guess i wil have to get a batch of something serious going soon.
My redneck special is for all the moochers who never knew my name till i started making wine.
The apple stuff is for haloween.

I guess i could walk through the fields and see what grows there.
There are so many decisions even if there is no pressure.
smiley1.gif

Thanks for the reply.
You have made me realise that i should get something going that i can oak and age properly.
I've been trying to find someone in florida to sell me juice((local winery))
No luck yet.Edited by: scotty

Latest posts

Back