I need quick feed back....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_am_a_rookie

Junior
Reaction score
I started my first batch of blackberry wine last Friday. I planned to follow the directions and let it ferment for at least 7 days as most directions explain. Then my plan hit a snag. I'm leaving to go out of town tomorrow (Thursday). A family member was supposed to stop by and tend to our dog as well as give my must its daily stir. This family member had a change in plans and won't be able to stop.

My question is should I give it one good stir before I leave on Thursday at lunch time or should I plan to take it with me as I travel. Would it be okay left unstirred until I arrive back home on Sunday? That would mean Friday and Saturday the must wouldn't have been stirred at all. My fear is the movement of the 4 hour drive will ruin my must. Advice please!!!!

What's your SG? Once it hits 1.010 or below it can be racked to a carboy under airlock. In my experience in this weather you should be about there now. I did try going to carboy at 1.020 once (at lot of my books say to do that, so I tried) but it wound up blowing off the airlock. If I stay at or below 1.010 tho I've never had a problem.

Pam in cinti

Clarification A 3 piece airlock, not one of those pretty curly Q airlocks. The pretty ones don't seem to handle lots of offgassing as efficiently as the 3 piece airlocks do.

Pam

The dog? It would have to be very well trained to stir the must without getting its muzzle or paws in the liquid. And dog hair gets everywhere, doesn't it?

I have let my wines ferment to dry in the bucket. That's the beauty of wine making. It teaches you patience. Once the must has fermented and you have an airlock on the top of the bucket is filled with CO2 so the wine will not be subject to oxygen. You could leave it in this state for months if you had to.

Also, I usually do not stir my must once fermentation gets started so not stirring is no big deal.

Back