I need a good trellis side netting source

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the difference in woven and extruded; what are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

I understand the difference in woven and extruded; what are the advantages and disadvantages of both?
The extruded is really fine and the "threads" cause a lot of leaf damage. The woven stuff in the photo above is much less abrasive and causes a lot less foliar damage. It's also easier to recover and use the following season.

Last edited:
I have a order of extruded arriving next week. I'll see how I like it. I'm afraid the woven won't be tough enough for my varmint load.

I've been thinking a lot about the racoon problem and have decided the electric fence is my only option. I can mess about with other things, lights, radio, coyote urine but in the end the electric fence is the only real solution.

Here's another option from the Greenhouse Megastore. They have everything for the serious home gardener and good prices.

I agree about the extruded. Almost seems like it has tiny hands that grab everything.

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com...t-x-45ft?returnurl=/yard-garden/garden-fence/
That's more like a row crop bird/shade cover and at $155 for 45 feet.. :oops: I'd go bankrupt trying to cover grape trellises.

Side netting is 3-4 feet wide and you only cover the fruit zone, It's used in VSP trellising, 3,280 feet for $560, that will do both sides of 1640 linear feet of grape trellis. Roughly .34 cents a foot of trellis.

https://www.plantra.com/Plantra-Avi...-Vineyard-Side-Net--328ft-x-3280ft_p_109.html

I have a order of extruded arriving next week. I'll see how I like it. I'm afraid the woven won't be tough enough for my varmint load.

I've been thinking a lot about the racoon problem and have decided the electric fence is my only option. I can mess about with other things, lights, radio, coyote urine but in the end the electric fence is the only real solution.
I have all of my grapes fenced in with 4 or 5 foot no-climb 2"x4" horse fence. Mainly for the deer and I run an electric wire 2" above that to keep the coons from climbing it where it is attached to the wood posts. I can't use steel T posts here, they rust out too quickly.

I bought 2 pallets of this stuff a year and a half ago, before inflation and got it for $108 a roll. Great quality fence though, even at the new price.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/red-brand-horse-fence-60-in-x-100-ft
The raccoons destroy netting and the deer will too if anything starts growing through it because they like to tug on the vines when they are eating them.

The woven stuff is pretty strong and it's much easier to reuse but not a good option for protecting new grapevines, just the fruit zones because it is very limp and stretchy if that makes sense.

I need 10,000 liner feet of netting. I'm not ready to put up deer fence. Since my deer are very athletic, I think I need 12 foot fence.

I need 10,000 liner feet of netting. I'm not ready to put up deer fence. Since my deer are very athletic, I think I need 12 foot fence.
I have an old wooden fence around what used to be corrals. Maybe 5 feet high. I've seen deer effortlessly jump and clear the fence with multiple feet to spare. Yeah, 12 feet should be enough.

I have an old wooden fence around what used to be corrals. Maybe 5 feet high. I've seen deer effortlessly jump and clear the fence with multiple feet to spare. Yeah, 12 feet should be enough.
The secret is to have the fence close to the vines rather than have a large gap between the fence and vines, deer wont jump a fence if there is no place to land on the other side.

Look into Avian Control, a bird repellant. I manage a 1/3 acre vineyard and you can imagine how much it cost and the labor to net that many rows of vines is involved.
I tried it after the first year of loosing 1/4 of a small crop to the birds. Now the loss is minimal. It goes on with the same spray equipment that I use for mildew control. A gallon lasts me two years.
It doesn't affect the taste of the wine made from the grapes, the awards I get proved that to me. The only problem I have had was when I applied it late right before harvest last year, the temps went to over 105F for the week before harvest, and the clusters that were sprayed raisined up real quick. Those that were not sprayed did not.
This stuff works.

What you folks do to protect your grapes boggles my mind! Are the grapes the only edibles around? In 15 years I've never had a problem. Granted, I only have about 30 vines but I also have a small orchard, vegetable garden, flower garden, numerous mulberry trees, a boatload of wild blackberries and crab apples. I see deer almost every day. My grapes seem to be last on the list. I'm either lucky or the critters prefer everything else.

And I hope I didn't just jinx myself!!!

Latest posts

Back