I may be missing for a few days here!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern Winos said:
Remember...when you ask someones opinion..you are getting that persons personal opinion...

Here is a Site that compares them all...still don't know which one to try next...????

http://antivirus-software.6starrevi...ti virus&gclid=CNOKvejajYoCFQlQWAod2XLtoQ

Copy & Paste to your browser....

You are correct, it is basically personal opinion. I just posted my opinion on the good service I have got from the product I use. I do tend to base my opinions on reviews from CNet and PC Magazine as I know these are trusted independentsources. Others, well you just don't know.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Bringing up this Post again....

Once again I downloaded the AVG Free Anti Virus software and once again it will expire in 30 days...which comes up in a couple days...wonder if they will get another newer version for people to try...? Looks like they are joining the 'Pay to Play' people.

So, I am am thinking of trying the AVAST Anti-Virus that Smurfe recommended and see how that one works out.

smiley25.gif
I heard about these programs on a radio talk show......the announcer recommended them...that might mean nothing.

smiley25.gif
He said that to make your computer run faster to try FoxFire Web Browser instead of Microsoft Internet explorer....Anyone tried that....
smiley25.gif

smiley25.gif
Also he said to have C-Cleaner...it's a simple free program that cleans the computer each time you use your Browser....Suppose to speed up your browsing...I have installed this...you can change the settings...It will clean out your files...like Temporary Internet Files, typed in Sites, History, Recycling Bin...etc...Cookies if you wish....I notice it cleans out my passwords on all my Sites...It is a pain to always type in your passwords on
Sites like this and eBay, etc. Are cookies okay...
smiley25.gif

smiley25.gif
Also he mentioned Ad-Aware....I still am not sure what that does...it seems to scan your computer for problems and isolates them....anyone tried this program...
smiley25.gif

Just curious if these add-ons are worth using???

Looking for more opinions on these...

A lot of computer geeks like FoxFire saying it has better security than Internet Explorer. My 15 year old son uses it. After last week, I am not sure he will use it anymore. The FBI confiscated his computer saying he had accessed an inappropriate site. Because he was underage, we are hoping to get it back. So much for security using FoxFire!!!
smiley11.gif

I have used AVAST AV and it works fine. I currently use the Computer Associates programs. They don't take over your computer and slow it down like the Symantec products do.

I don't like the cleaner type products- they tend to clean out stuff you don't want cleaned out and leave the crap there.

Ad-Aware works well. There is a free home version. Keep it updated and run it about once a week. It cleans out the junk put there by some sites, but leaves your passwords and so on alone- a good product.

WOW!!!The FBI...that's something...you'd think they have better things to do than that.

I agree with the C-Cleaner....it really does sweep things away...it automatically cleaned out my recycling bin before I noticed I could change that setting...Sometimes I store stuff in there that I might want later....

As for the anti-Virus...too many to choose from.

Thanks for your input...words to remember.

If your going to buy a software I really looked into this recently
meaning that I checked out approx 15 different reviews and asked 3
coputer places and Bit Defender and Kaspersky Internet Suites were the
best. I did this research as after I fixed this last problem and bought
Norton Internet Security for 3 computers , the laptop I use most
received another Trojan Virus in which I had to redo my whole computer
again. I fouynd that my daughter was downloading music and opened a
file which contained this. While doing this research that I should have
done BEFORE I bought this lousy Norton program again, I found that
Norton is actually 1 of the worst but well known. It frequently lets
trojans through and slows your computer down the most, takes the
longest time to download and the longest time to scan the hard drive.
UGGGGG! They said that Kaspersky updates the most frequently out of any
software which means that it is more up to date then any other program.

Oh and by the way, I have Netscape, Firefox, and Internet Explorer on
all my computers as some do different things. I really like Netscape
but the only proble I have with that is when I go on my other forum,
sorry guys very infrequently, it doesnt download the page. I really
hate IE but if you want to upgrade your Microsoft products and view
some other various sites you sometimes need IE. I use Firefox and like
it very much but my wife hates it. As far as accessing inappropriate
sites Appleman, I dont think there is a browser that is fail safe! Just
stick with the one that works the best for you and monitor your
childrens internet more like I have to.

Northern Winos said:
Bringing up this Post again....

Once again I downloaded the AVG Free Anti Virus software and once again it will expire in 30 days...which comes up in a couple days...wonder if they will get another newer version for people to try...? Looks like they are joining the 'Pay to Play' people.

So, I am am thinking of trying the AVAST Anti-Virus that Smurfe recommended and see how that one works out.

smiley25.gif
I heard about these programs on a radio talk show......the announcer recommended them...that might mean nothing.

smiley25.gif
He said that to make your computer run faster to try FoxFire Web Browser instead of Microsoft Internet explorer....Anyone tried that....
smiley25.gif

smiley25.gif
Also he said to have C-Cleaner...it's a simple free program that cleans the computer each time you use your Browser....Suppose to speed up your browsing...I have installed this...you can change the settings...It will clean out your files...like Temporary Internet Files, typed in Sites, History, Recycling Bin...etc...Cookies if you wish....I notice it cleans out my passwords on all my Sites...It is a pain to always type in your passwords on
Sites like this and eBay, etc. Are cookies okay...
smiley25.gif

smiley25.gif
Also he mentioned Ad-Aware....I still am not sure what that does...it seems to scan your computer for problems and isolates them....anyone tried this program...
smiley25.gif

Just curious if these add-ons are worth using???

Looking for more opinions on these...

Is that browser Fox Fire or Firefox? I use Firefox a lot, particularly if I boot my machine in Linux instead of Windows. It does work great on Windows as well.The security features of Firefox are more toward Phishing sites and Spyware as well as viruses. It won't hide you from inappropriate sites, rather it just helps keep bugs away.

If all software would run on Linux I would dump Windows forever. I have never had a machine freeze or crash when booted into Linux. That is why most Internet servers use Linux instead of a Windows software. It has a great email program and Office program included (at least the distribution I have does) as well as hundreds of other programsand you can save the files in Microsoft Office formats so those that use Windows can view them and you can view Office files. There is another world outside Microsoft.

Lavasoft Ad aware is a very good ad ware/spy ware cleaner. Avast anti virus will pick up Mal ware files. To save my passwords I use a program called Roboform. One of the best pieces of software I ever bought. You can also use a free program called Billeo that will save passwords but isn't near as feature friendly as Roboform. If you clean your system, all your passwords are still there as the program saves them. The C-Cleaner program doesn't do anything over what is already installed in Windows XP Disk Clean Up does.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Back