I may be missing for a few days here!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Having alot of trouble computerwise! My laptop has developed a Trojan
virus despite the fact I have Norton Antivirus so that computer is down
big time. Im trying to install the new 2007 Norton Internet security
into my PC in the meantime and it is giving me big balls. I think I
have a defective disc as I was on the phone with them on and off for 6
hours today trying to resolve this issue to no avail! Hope to see you
all sopon.
smiley18.gif

Oh no!!!!!

You'd best not be away too long. You'll miss the sparkles!
smiley4.gif

Good luck!

Hope you get her figured out. I to used to use Norton and would get viruses. I switched to a free virus scanner that I downloaded a couple years ago and have yet to pick up anything yet. I was shocked to read in PC Magazine a couple years ago in a comparison study that there were a couple free virus programs available the scored higher in security than the big boys.

I uninstalled McAffee from my wifes work computer as well when she got a worm on it. I use Avast virus scanner now. They have a free version for personal home users. Since you already have purchased your Norton it won't help you now but it is worth looking into in the future.

Smurfe

I also use Norton! Haven't had any trouble as of yet, about 6 years! But, have also thought about the free versions. Because of my long hours at work I do most of my shopping on line and do all my banking, credit cards etc on line. So, was afraid to try one of the free versions. But I also get tired of the yearly update for this $$$$ or $$$$ it can get costly!

Wade hurry back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jsmahoney said:
I also use Norton! Haven't had any trouble as of yet, about 6 years! But, have also thought about the free versions. Because of my long hours at work I do most of my shopping on line and do all my banking, credit cards etc on line. So, was afraid to try one of the free versions. But I also get tired of the yearly update for this $$$$ or $$$$ it can get costly!

I was a die hard Norton user until I got a worm on my machine. I had to end up formatting my hard drive. I did some research on other scanners and found Avast. The home version is free to boot. It has won many awards on its performance.

I have used it for 3 years now on all 8of my machines and not been infected once. I like how it automatically updates itself every day or the moment an update is released. A lot of people put down the free software. Avast is actually an anti virus you can buy. They just offer the home user version for free.

AVG antivirus is a good free antivirus as well. I used it until I found Avast.

http://www.avast.com/eng/awards.html

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

Smurfe & Wade...I have been using AVG freeware...when I got a virus awhile back I had shut off the AntiVirus to install something else...the Trojan Virus took advantage and got through...

The AVG free version is going to expire soon, I was planing on getting a McAfee...But I can purchase it OnLine...

Smurfe...tell us a bit about the Avast program if you would please...

Dude........

You only have one computer??????????

So stoneage............................ Sigh.................

20070130_183021_badvirus.gif

Good luck Wade,

I have a corporate version of Norton I'm authorized to use and got a trojan virus a few months ago from my teenagers going on teen sites that Norton would not recognize. I ended up going to a freeware site and trying a freeware virus software package that took care of it ASAP. I deleted the software later and booted the teens off my system and I'm good now. Hope this works out for you.

"

We too only have 1 computer. Less computers to keep clean!"

No body told me I was suppossed to clean my computer, my keyboard is kinda gross..lol

I use avast and you must have a firewall to keep the trojans out,

I have three computers. One is my daughters which is not hooked up to
the DSL @ this moment because I dont feel like calling a third world
country to figure out how to get that computer hooked up to the
wireless router that used to be until I had a problem a while back. My
laptop, my primary computer that I use all the time is infected because
the subscription of norton ran out and I just didnt have the money at
that time to renew, now its unde going a whole new install of
everything. My desktop which is the MAIN computer put me and the Norton
techs through a total of 9 hours of on phone tech support to figure why
Norton Internet Security 2007 would not install. Turns out the brand
new disc I bought was missing a DLL file that was needed to run Live
update to complete the install. This is the 3rd time I have bought a
program from various companies that was missing a file to install.
Anyone else ever had such a problem or is this my ridiculous luck!
smiley24.gif

Northern Winos said:
Smurfe & Wade...I have been using AVG freeware...when I got a virus awhile back I had shut off the AntiVirus to install something else...the Trojan Virus took advantage and got through...

The AVG free version is going to expire soon, I was planing on getting a McAfee...But I can purchase it OnLine...

Smurfe...tell us a bit about the Avast program if you would please...

Avast is another program like AVG. BTW, can't you just re register AVG and continue to use it? Avast is like that. It will expire in 18 months I believe. When it expires you simply re-register and they send you a new password. I have never once received any Spam from them. The program works great. Stinky says he uses it and has to run a firewall. I don't know about if that is needed or not. I do have the Firewall Windows XP has activatedand have never had a Trojan or anything get through undetected. They offer a scanner separate you can use if you feel your infected with a worm.

I do want to stress that I am not preaching this product over Norton orMcAfee. I am just saying I am a former user of both products which I paid for and paid to update annually and I got viruses.A couple so severe I had to format my machine. I could accept thisfro a free product i had downloaded but not a product I paid good money for. I use thefree versions of Avast on my personal machines anddid buy a 5 user issue for my work machines. So far, 3 years virus free.

http://www.avast.com

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Sounds good smurfe...the AVG might want to sell a program now, it says my free one will expire in Feb...maybe just need to reinstall like you mentioned...will check out the Avast too...Thanks!

wade said:
I have three computers. One is my daughters which is not hooked up to the DSL @ this moment because I dont feel like calling a third world country to figure out how to get that computer hooked up to the wireless router that used to be until I had a problem a while back. My laptop, my primary computer that I use all the time is infected because the subscription of norton ran out and I just didnt have the money at that time to renew, now its unde going a whole new install of everything. My desktop which is the MAIN computer put me and the Norton techs through a total of 9 hours of on phone tech support to figure why Norton Internet Security 2007 would not install. Turns out the brand new disc I bought was missing a DLL file that was needed to run Live update to complete the install. This is the 3rd time I have bought a program from various companies that was missing a file to install. Anyone else ever had such a problem or is this my ridiculous luck!
smiley24.gif

wade I have used the Norton I'm guessing about 6 years, with no problems as of yet, (KNOCK ON WOOD)< but have always downloaded it from the INTERNET. I liked the thought of having my own CD, but after the initial download, and being able to retrieve the download if ever neededfrom the INTERNET any time during that year,I've come to feel better about not having my own CD.

Once during printing of ourphotos,the pictures kept coming out greenish, even after purchasing a new photo colorprint cartridge. Contacting the company of the printer and after several correlations, determined the printer was broken beyond repair. So, purchased another printer, placed the new photo color cartridge into the new printer and started the photo printing again. GREENISH pictures once again! Turned out not to be the printer at all, it was a faulty photo color cartridge. They replaced the cartridge. I now have two photo printers.
smiley11.gif

smurfe said:
jsmahoney said:

I was a die hard Norton user until I got a worm on my machine. I had to end up formatting my hard drive. I did some research on other scanners and found Avast. The home version is free to boot. It has won many awards on its performance.

I have used it for 3 years now on all 8of my machines and not been infected once. I like how it automatically updates itself every day or the moment an update is released. A lot of people put down the free software. Avast is actually an anti virus you can buy. They just offer the home user version for free.

AVG antivirus is a good free antivirus as well. I used it until I found Avast.

http://www.avast.com/eng/awards.html

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Thanks!
smiley1.gif

Finally back but have a lot of programs to reinstall as it was wiped
clean. Have to call gateway tomorrow and play around with them now as
my wirelss network is not secured because my internal wireless card
needs updated drivers. I have been dealing with techs fro Norton for 9
hours, Linksys for 3 today and gateway tommorow. But its working well
and have Norton going on all computers. The computer place I took it to
said that Nod32 is the best antivirus software there is. Never heard of
it, have any of you?

Pretty cool nw, finally all finished with this computer thank goodness.

Back