I love the smell of must in the morning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCharles

Reaction score
I love the smell of must in the morning. This is a photo of one of two fermenters that I started yesterday. Each contains about 10 gallons of crushed and destemmed cabernet sauvignon. The grapes were picked Monday. Yesterday I added yeast about 11AM. By midnight last night, the fermentation process was fired up. There is a unique aroma to fermenting grapes. I find I miss it after the wine has been buttoned up in bottles. To me, this is one more event that makes fall so great.

2012 Sept-26-5-1.jpg

There is a unique aroma to fermenting grapes. I find I miss it after the wine has been buttoned up in bottles. To me, this is one more event that makes fall so great.

Couldn't have said it much better myself.

I agree. Great smell and great feeling to know something is cookin'. It is interesting how fermenting different varieties or same variety with different yeast can smell so differently.

My dog doesn't agree with us. When I am fermenting, he follows me down stairs but stops short of the fermentation room. He starts sneezing and doesn't like it at all.

I am not doing any fresh grapes this fall. I miss the process very much. Wife just retired from teaching; we are trying to get ready for my imminent retirement, selling the house and potentially moving to California. We decided we would slow it down a little so we won't have so much wine to move.

Ferment a bucket for me, Charles!

Looks good! I'm always wondering what people think when they come over and the notice the smells wafting up from downstairs! Now that I think about it, I haven't had visitors for quite some time!!:)

Looks good! I'm always wondering what people think when they come over and the notice the smells wafting up from downstairs! Now that I think about it, I haven't had visitors for quite some time!!:)

Visitoricide??? You found out the secret!

I love the smell of must in the morning. This is a photo of one of two fermenters that I started yesterday. Each contains about 10 gallons of crushed and destemmed cabernet sauvignon. The grapes were picked Monday. Yesterday I added yeast about 11AM. By midnight last night, the fermentation process was fired up. There is a unique aroma to fermenting grapes. I find I miss it after the wine has been buttoned up in bottles. To me, this is one more event that makes fall so great.
looks great..what yeast did u use?..that must smell lovely...:br

I am using Lalvin RC212. I just finished my afternoon punchdown... hey, it smells pretty good in the afternoon as well.

Have a good one. Paul

I could not agree more! That smell (to outsiders) can be repulsive, but to a winemaker it's better then that Chennel #5 [sic].

One warning though.. (sorry for changing the direction of this thread)

Fermentation produces large amounts of CO2. CO2 is poisonous to humans (in high concentrations). I have come accross several cases where wine was being fermented in a closed room, the winemaker passes out, then dies from Asphyxiation.

The issue is that CO2, being heavier than air, is in its highest concentrations closer to the floor. By passing out, and falling to the floor, the situation only gets worse.
I am sure that 20 gallons of fermenting must in a large room will not pose too much of a danger, but larger amounts in smaller, closed rooms could be fatal.

So, be safe. When punching down, I open the outside doors and turn on the box fan, then wait outside for 5-10 minutes before I get to the task at hand.

I agree...love the smell. At first my wife hated the smell now she enjoys it almost as much as I do.

Nothing better than the smell of fresh grape donuts. Or at least thats sorta what it smells like to me! :)

JohnT is right about the CO2. Yesterday, while assisting a friend who owns a vineyard/winery, he confirmed the need to open the door to the winery to air it out. He added that most deaths in wineries occur from people being overwhelmed when the lean over large ferments. Apparently it’s not uncommon for people to fall into the wine after they’ve been overtaken by the gas. My operation is rather small... only 20 gallons in the garage. I open the door anyway just to let out the dog.

Latest posts

Back